my body exudes the smell of urine.HELP!!!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

romstal

my body exudes the smell of urine.HELP!!!!

Post by romstal »

hello!!!my body exudes a smell of urine, no matter how many showers do daily,this problem is 10 years.I did blood tests urine,I went to the doctor and did ultrasound liver kidney were good,the smell does not go away, do not know what to do.....people around me spitting and coughing when lying next to me,this problem has changed me so much life,I gave up work,because it feels good next to other people,I am 32 years old and can not continue in this way,I wish with all my heart to solve this problem.If there are people like me who have solved this problem I am kindly help me with some advice.thanks!!!
Last edited by romstal on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
AmandaClare

Re: my body exudes the smell of urine.HELP!!!!

Post by AmandaClare »

Hi, people can smell of urine during the late stages of kidney failure but if your kidneys have been tested, that's not the cause.

The only similar thing I've heard of is Fish Odour Syndrome or Trimethylaminuria. I saw an episolde of the C4 series Embarrassing Bodies where a woman had given up work because of an unclean odour. She was able to get rid of it by changing her diet.

No idea whether your problem is related. I really hope you find the answer.

http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesse ... -syndrome/

Amanda
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi romstal,
Have you talked to your GP or Consultant about this? I would ask to talk to a dietician, I am not sure there is a link with diet but it is worth a try. There are defective genes that can result in the Urea Cycle not working in the normal way. As I understand it, the Liver is involved in the Urea Cycle perhaps another avenue to explore.

Good Luck.
jbell

Post by jbell »

Hi Amandaclare am slightly alarmed I might smell of urine at end stage renal failure , do you know why you would as nobody has ever mentioned this could be a problem to me. Thank you janbell
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
Duker5

Post by Duker5 »

romstal wrote:Hello! my body exudes the smell of urine, no matter how many showers do that day the odor persists, the problem I have about 10 years, while the smell became very strong and disturbing, therefore I gave up and at work, and I do not have a job is very difficult so, my request is if there are people who have had this problem and found a remedy for healing to help me and did mine.Am related analysis urine, blood, thyroid ultrasound, ultrasound liver and kidney and went well, I honestly do not know what it could be and how to treat this disease, when people are spitting or coughing around me react differently
I suspect the above post is 'taking the p*ss' to put it bluntly....

I mean read it and tell me does the English (if that's what it can be called) even sound like a genuinely written post?

'No matter how many showers DO THAT DAY the odor persists'

'Therefore I gave up and at work'

'Found a remedy for healing to help me and did mine'

'Am related analysis, urine, blood, thyroid ultrasound, ultrasound liver and kidney and WENT WELL'

ALL the above is VERY poorly written and how can you be related analysis (I read that as awaiting analysis) but all WENT WELL.

I suspect a troll at work here.....
romstal

Post by romstal »

I apologize if my English is not very good
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

jbell wrote:Hi Amandaclare am slightly alarmed I might smell of urine at end stage renal failure , do you know why you would as nobody has ever mentioned this could be a problem to me. Thank you janbell

Hi Jan, I see you are asking Amanda about urine smell at end stage renal failure, well I am at stage 5 and sometimes I think that I can smell it on me but when I ask family or friends they say no they don.t smell it so I think it may be a problem that affects some people but not all people, I just make sure I am clean down there use a special wash for that area and I use nice smelling deodorant I hope this helps a little bit with your question

Liz
I am 61 years old

diagnosed 17 years ago with Membratts disease

Now receiving dialysis

I am Scottish and live in Glasgow.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Jbell - I have read in quite a few places that people in the later stages of kidney disease can suffer with an ammonia/fishy smell to their breath.

Duker5 - I can see where you are coming from on the post not being genuine, however, sometimes I think we have to give people the benefit of the doubt until we are shown to be wrong. I am certain there are loads of idiots who post crap on this forum, whose posts subsequently get deleted, but it would be really sad to think that someone in genuine need is ignored because their English isn't great. It is possible that this person is foreign and has used 'google translate' or similar to convert their language and pasted the result on to the forum for example. I use this quite a lot in some communications with members of my family from abroad and the English translation can come out really strange! Sometimes things are lost in translation but they are also added too! :)
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

i have had periods when i smell of stale sweat. it happens after i have had a shower and am rubbing myself dry - its on my arms. i became very embarrassed about this particularly at work and although when i asked colleagues if they could smell anything they denied it but the doubt is always there that they are just being polite. i have never been able to identify what brings in on. it will last for a few days then disappear again.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Sorry if I alarmed you jbell. I don't think it's a major social problem for many people.

There's a previous topic here about it where people are conscious of an ammonia smell or taste, but their friends can't smell anything: http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/fo ... ?f=2&t=869
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Grey

Post by Grey »

Actually there are many so called English speaking people who simply cannot speak English so I guess it possible that a foreign speaking tongue may well get it al wrong. Who are we to judge! Let me give you an example that really gets me....spoken by national TV anchors no less, whom you would expect should set an example. I was sat there....Sat there, is and always has been passed tense, so to use it in the present is just not correct.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi romstal,
One of my reasons for asking if you have spoken to your doctor/consultant about this is, you may just think you can smell it. You are more likely to trust what your doctor says rather than friends and family. The human brain can, all too easily, fool us into believing we know what other people are thinking, I am not saying there is nothing wrong but it is worth checking. Also your doctors may not understand the profound effect it is having on your life until you tell them.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Common causes with end stage renal failure are a build up of uric acid in the blood, as the sweat glands are the only way the body can try to get rid of fluid, and odor may be manifest. Its a 'possible' cause of the smell.

See a doctor!
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
romstal

Post by romstal »

JMan...analyzes are well
acid uric seric 5.2 reference range:3.5-7.2
serum creatine 1.1 reference range:0.9-1.3

Are you a doctor?
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

Grey wrote:Actually there are many so called English speaking people who simply cannot speak English so I guess it possible that a foreign speaking tongue may well get it al wrong. Who are we to judge! Let me give you an example that really gets me....spoken by national TV anchors no less, whom you would expect should set an example. I was sat there....Sat there, is and always has been passed tense, so to use it in the present is just not correct.

Your post made me chuckle Grey I lived in Leeds for a number of years and my sister is married to a Yorkshire lad, and they have a habit of saying things like I sat there sitting and stood there standing that type of thing and it always made me smile when I heard it. Thanks for bringing back some happy memories for me Grey...............

Liz
I am 61 years old

diagnosed 17 years ago with Membratts disease

Now receiving dialysis

I am Scottish and live in Glasgow.