Callie did you have your surgery?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Ruthie

Callie did you have your surgery?

Post by Ruthie »

Hi Callie,

Just thought I'd finally check back in (getting use to this board has been a bit difficult for me plus I've been out of town)...Have you had surgery for your UPJ? Please let me hear how you are.

Ruthie
callie

Post by callie »

Hi Ruthie

yes I did have my surgery. Thanks for asking. Just got home a few days ago. Ran into some trouble with allergy to morphine and then to percocet so was in hospital a few days longer than scheduled. Also the way the surgeon re-attached the ureter was different than he normally does because of my anatomy so that added a day on as well. Things are going ok...having a fair amount of pain because there isn't alot of drugs I can take, but otherwise doing ok.

How are you? Were you out of town on fun or business...hopefully fun. Thanks for asking how I was doing...you are so kind. I posted further down the list asking if weight gain was common after pyeloplasty...any idea...I have gained 6 lbs since being in hospital which I find odd since I only went off a fluid diet about 4 days ago...and haven't been eating much...they did give me a lot of fluid the first few days after the op..so much so that I was so swollen one of my friends didn't even recognize me at first...do you think that a week after surgery I'm still holding some of that fluid. Any insight you have would be appreciated. Anyway, gotta run, but thanks for checking on me.

Sincerely,
Callie
Ruthie

upj surgery

Post by Ruthie »

Hi Callie,

First, so happy your surgery went well other than your problems with medication. Morphine gave me dreadful headaches - far worse pain than post surgery pain!!! The worst pain I endured was prior to the surgery---I suffered from the DREADS...dreading surgery and wondering what if this - what if that... thank goodness for this website which helped me get through that phase!!! & it is so much better having the surgery behind me.

Now, as far a weight gain, I too have noticed that I have been carrying around 5 extra pounds that seem to be concentrated about the mid abdomen region (my jeans are very tight now vs. before surgery). Not sure why but intend to ask my uro when I have my 6 week follow up mid June. I told my husband the other day that while all seems well, my pants are tight and I hardly eat anything! If you learn anything about why, I would like to know. I can only guess that maybe the function of my right kidney is slower??? so I am retaining water but pray tell why didn't I weigh more when I had the UPJ obstruction and no urine could hardly pass through the kidney??? doesn't add up!

As for other small notables, I do occasionally have soreness around the kidney but not the same as before which I attribute to healing. How about you? Curious as to what kind of pain you still have after surgery?

Other news unrelated to kidney issues -- have been travelling to Boston, Chicago and Dallas with my husband on business and we have a big summer trip planned to Italy - where we cruise from Rome to Spain on Crystal Cruise. Never been to that region of the world so I am very excited!

Wishing you a very speedy recovery Callie and anytime you want to chat, please post as I am very interested in hearing everything you want to share!!!

Best,
Ruthie
callie

Post by callie »

Hi Ruthie

It is so nice to talk to you...I don't feel like I'm nuts afterwards. Interesting that we both have extra weight after that surgery hunh? Something I'm sure that the doc's don't think to tell us about...or maybe they dont' know about it??? My follow up isn't until July 7th so if you find out anything first let me know. My friend who is a doc and took care of me the few days after said it may be what's called "third spacing" where the fluid goes to areas that don't normally hold fluid, like between the skin and peritoneum. Because I got alot of fluid post-op (as I mentioned) he said it is likely that the body is holding on to some of it, however that phenomenon is only supposed to last 3-4 days. I also suspect as you mentioned that part is that the kidney is not pumping out fluid as quickly so maybe there is some retention from that as well. All I know is I was not impressed (I am always trying to lose weight so this was an unpleasant surprise)

Aside from all that, the most painI have is just from "doing too much" I've really been pushing myself, and I get quite tired and sore. Almost a pulling sensation. I get the odd episode of colic-y pain like I had before but mainly when I am urinating, almost like a spasm and then it is gone.

Sounds like you have a lovely vacation planned. I would love to do that. I am heading to Hawaii but not until February. I went last year and fell in love with it. Can't wait to go back.

Well I must run. Thanks so much for writing and making me fell like I'm not insane. Hope you continue to feel well and write whenever you like. I love chatting with you.

Callie
Ruthie

that chubby feeling

Post by Ruthie »

Hi Callie!

It is very comforting to be able to click in to this site and chat with others in the proverbial same boat! So happy we connected and are in touch.

What's next for me is I have to schedule a lasik washout test (nuclear medicine) so they can check kidney function and that the ureter is unblocked. That will be the second week of June - then I have an appt with my uro June 17th. This is the first time I've seen him since I had surgery March 1 and the stent removed. I will ask him about the weight gain issue (I noticed no one has posted in response to your question about that---wish someone would as I'd like an answer as well- I am practically starving myself and I am still 4-5 pounds over my pre-op weight. hmmm)

What is strange is I had laparoscopic surgery when I had a cyst removed from my ovary and I lost weight and never have had this feeling of slight expansion around my waist area. I can only GUESS but maybe it has to do with the location of the kidney deep in the body and all that probing etc creates swelling that takes time to reduce??? Anyway, I suppose as long as we are healing properly and healthy- we can be very very grateful it isn't something worse...but maybe in the back of my mind I think it might be a symptom of a healing problem, blockage -- so better to have the answer.

Will write when I learn more or perhaps someone will POST in response to your question about weight gain.

Hugs,
Ruthie