mini dialysis machine and wearable artificial kidney?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

formyuncle

mini dialysis machine and wearable artificial kidney?

Post by formyuncle »

Dear all,

I am in search for some mini dialysis machine for my uncle, who has been suffering from uremia for a number of years and needs to go to the hospital for dialysis several few times a week. Could anyone please advise if it's possible to purchase one in the UK and if so, where?

I did some research and it appears that the prototype of wearable artificial kidney is finished. When approximately would it come to the market?

Any information regarding portable and wearable dialysis machine would be much appreciated!

Viv
wagolynn

Re: mini dialysis machine and wearable artificial kidney?

Post by wagolynn »

This may well be a starting point in your search -
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/hea ... ne-hits-UK
I have no experience of these machines but I would expect them to be expensive to run and the dialysing time, I think, will be about the same.
‘Normal’ Hemodialysis machines can be bought, new or reconditioned, (Google will turn up many sources) but he needs to talk to his renal team about dialysing at home. There are many issues to be considered, it is not as simple as it sounds. The most obvious problem is competence, after all a dislodged needle could easily lead to bleeding to death.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

More these I think:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_kidney

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 175853.htm

Lots of hype about them in 2008/9 but very little since.

I think we're stuck with what we have for the foreseeable.

Sorry :(
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

There is currently no mini dialysis machine. Both the wearanle and implantable kidneys are still just prototypes. At the moment, the developers are still seeking funding to develop these. Even uf their development continues, they are still several years away.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

Has your uncle considered home dialysis, either peritoneal, or home haemo- dialysis? Google NxStage for a portable haemo- dialysis machine. It is available in the UK although I have no knowledge about how readily available it is., i,e. which dialysis clinics support it. Suggest you get your uncle to talk to his nurse or doctor about alternative options to in-unit haemo. Although you may be able to buy a used dialysis machine, you would also need to buy the supplies to use with it and also know how to use it. It is mot just a case of plugging it in and away you go.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Hi Viv

Home haemodialysis should be available on the NHS in the UK - if the person who needs dialysis and there home circumstances are all suitable. That my or may not include having someone else on hand to help in case of problems. That's the theory anyway. Some renal units are less keen than others on supporting this, but that's what should be available. For example, see: http://www.kidney.org.uk/home/news-2/al ... -dialysis/
formyuncle

Post by formyuncle »

Many thanks for all the replies!