Skin Temperature

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thumps

Skin Temperature

Post by Thumps »

Hello everyone, long time no see - I have a new job where I'm not allowed much personal internetz so I don't get on here much at the moment! I do have a question though, mainly aimed at the transplantees I think...

I've had a real problem since the tx with my skin temperature. Not my body temp, that's normal, but the amount of heat I'm radiating from my skin. I'm physically hot to the touch, whereas before my tx my skin was reasonably cool. It's like my homeostasis is all off or something. Anyone else experience such a thing? I know it's a bit random!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Shinto

Re: Skin Temperature

Post by Shinto »

Last edited by Shinto on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Thumps

This bit of information will probably not be of any relevance at all, but I will put it out there anyway, just in case, as you just never know!

My daughter suffers exactly the same thing. She does have PKD (early stages - she is only 22) as do several members of my family, however, she also has a connective tissue disorder called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (type 3). She is hypermobile and, amongst many of her related symptoms, her skin (which is very smooth and stretchy - one of the symptoms) can occasionally REALLY radiate heat (particularly at night). She herself does not feel in anyway hot temperature wise but her skin is extremely hot to the touch. Of course I am not suggesting for one moment you have a connective tissue disorder but just wanted to describe it to you in case it was relevant in anyway/of any help to you, as I THINK (don't know) skin heat can often be connective tissue related.

One other thought occurred to me, although I doubt this would be the reason - it couldn't possibly be cellulitis could it? I doubt it, as I get the impression that you are experiencing this all over your skin, whereas I THINK (again, don't know for sure) that cellulitis tends to effect just a certain area/s eg legs etc. I only mention it as I know that it can be a problem in people with suppressed immunity? Requires antibiotics I think.

Anyway, best of luck sorting it out.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Interesting question. Other people have commented recently that my skin seems hot too.
Drugs-wise, I'm just on Pred and Tacro as immunosuppressants (plus Adalat Retard for BP and Gliclazide for blood sugar).
It doesn't cause me any problems - even in this hot weather, so maybe it's pretty mild. Loving the fact that there's an open air swimming pool in town - have bought a season ticket for that, and am loving teaching my daughter to swim in there every other day :-)
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

My partner says I radiate heat even when I don't feel hot.

I've heard that the immunosuppressants reduce your body temperature. If that's true maybe we'd need to pump heat out to maintain that. But I'm guessing.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010