Bilateral Renal Insufficiency

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

NancyL

Bilateral Renal Insufficiency

Post by NancyL »

After having a kidney scan my Dr told me yesterday that I have bilateral renal insufficiency worse on the right side than on the left. She does not know why or much about it and is sending me to see a nephrologist on June 21.
I have been having severe kidney pains ( I've had stones before so I'm familiar with where it hurts when it is your kidneys) for 2 weeks, she said she doesn't know if insufficiency causes pain or not. The pain gets so bad I just double over in pain.
Does any one know if renal insufficiency causes pain?
Thanks!
Nancy
Cheryl in CT

bilateral renal insufficiency

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Dear Nancy -

Yes, indeed, renal insufficiency CAN cause pain, depending on its cause. (In your case, until you have some tests & find out for sure what has caused it, you're undoubtedly not going to know for sure...) Depending on the cause, there may be no pain whatsoever, or there may be pain that manifests itself in the flank or back - on one or both sides, and that may be progressive, severe, or spasm-like (colicky). Pain also may radiate or move to lower in the flank, pelvis, groin, or genital area.

The key here is to find out what's causing the insufficiency (and the pain) and to have it treated before it becomes a chronic problem or causes permanent renal damage. Renal calculi (kidney stones) CAN be responsible, but there are so many other things that could be going on that you really do need to find out for sure.

Hopefully, the nephroloogist will order an abdomenal CT scan or something similar to see what's going on. (Is there any possibilty that your regular doctor can order a scan ahead of time? It would be great to have it ready when you see the neph for the first time, as what it shows may allow him/her to start treatment sooner...)

I'm sorry that you will be waiting for a few more weeks for the neph visit, but if there's any way to get that testing started sooner, I think you'll find that treatment (and pain relief) will come a lot sooner, too.

wishing you all the best,
Cheryl
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

I went in for a CT yesterday, along with blood work and urine tests. It doesnt show anything. The only thing that shows anything is the nuclear medicine renal scan shows decreased renal function. The Dr who did the CT yesterday said he has no idea why I'm in pain, but its not a stone or infection and just wait and talk with the Neph on the 21st. If it wasnt for the renal scan showing decreased function I would be beginning to think it is all in my head.

Nancy
R30

Renal Pain

Post by R30 »

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain, but good that your blood and urine tests don't show anything sinister.
I suffered pain on passing urine for about ten years before my renal problem was diagnosed. I put this down to have sciatica - I now know better. My renal insufficiency (and, hence, pain) was caused by taking a combination of drugs for period pains and indigestion (so the Drs think). Are you taking any medication and if so, do you know of the side-effects? I ask this because I wasn't told of any side-effects of the medication I was on - and am just starting dialysis next week.