shoulder pain

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Luanna

shoulder pain

Post by Luanna »

2 years ago when I had my tube put in I remember pain in my shoulder and was told it was from air used to inflate me for the surgery. Since then I have experienced it a few times. What is it from and does anyone else ever get it?
bigbuzzard

Re: shoulder pain

Post by bigbuzzard »

When doing peritoneal dialysis I've sometimes had shoulder pain if I've let some air get in, because of not flushing the tubes properly. It seems the air bubbles go somewhere - perhaps somewhere under the diaphragm - that causes a pain that gets felt in the shoulder. It's not like anything I've ever felt before - like right inside the shoulder joint. It has lasted almost all day, but then fades away.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

I remember that shoulder pain from PD 25 years ago. It is unlike any other pain. At the beginning I got it frequently while draining in and had to lie curled up on one side.

I think it can be a sign of peritonitis but in the absence of any other symptoms and if it goes away then it's just the tube/air/fluid/who knows what.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Daisy4246

Post by Daisy4246 »

I have started PD 3 days ago and experienced that horrible pain the shoulder. Also could not breath well. It happened at training and left me upset. Then realised at home that the air in the tube caused it. Swore I had learnt my lesson. Then today on flushing got distracted and forgot to close the valve so again pain. So then l drained it straight away and got rid of some air. That helped to shorten the pain. Paracetamol and rest is best. Have to be very careful to concentrate and NOT forget. As soon as pain on drain stop. It's done. Good luck. Good to read I'm not the only one and forum helps a lot .