Wee infection after transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

CAROL COLEMAN

Wee infection after transplant

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

HI not been on here for a while. Just need advice from anyone who has had this.
I have just reached my year of transplant, and have just gone down today with a wee infection. Phoned hos to ask if ok to take the pills prescribed by GP. Was told ok but unable to have my blood done this week as my kidney function will go down due to the pills and to wait a week for my blood again. Just a bit worried it is going to effect my new kidney long term.
Has anyone else experianced this after there transplant.

CAROL
C Coleman
Thumps

Re: Wee infection after transplant

Post by Thumps »

Oh yes, many times :) Just a couple of tips:

Make sure your GP sends off your urine to find out exactly which bacteria caused the infection and that the drug you've been given is effective against it.

Short term, the antibiotic will affect your results, but as long as the infection is treated promptly it won't have any adverse impact on your new kidney. If you don't feel better after your course of antibiotics is finished, you get a fever or you start to get any kidney pain (in the new one or the old ones) then best to check in with your neph team again for sure.
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
CAROL COLEMAN

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Thumps.

Thank you so much for your reply. I was worried it will effect my kidney. Its been going so well in my first year bit of shock when you get a hic up. My blood has been delayed a week now, go next thursday, so i guess those results wont be as good.

CAROL
C Coleman
Zennor

Post by Zennor »

I had one after two years. Like an idiot I thought it was flu and by the time the doc was called I was having tremors etc etc. V. bad first night in admissions unit BP went through the floor and 50% of kidney function had gone. After ten days of IV and oral antibiotics I was fine and kidney function was back to normal for me. Was a big scare at the time.
Advice from unit was 'if you have a raised temperature assume you are seriously ill until we tell you otherwise' which seemed a good precautionary approach. Personally I would bypass the GP and go straight to the unit, but maybe I am lucky that I can.
There was quite a bit of follow up, ultrasound of kidney to see if any stones, of bladder to see if any urine retention that could form pool for bugs to grow in and finally a cystoscopy which is always a joy.

I really wish that when I ask if results are in the normal range that the reply would not always start with 'well, given your age' and why is that consultants look so young?

Good luck, based on my experience I am sure you will be fine.
CAROL COLEMAN

Post by CAROL COLEMAN »

Thank you Zennor for your reply.
My unit is good as well. Always on hand for advice thank god. As you say it is very scary, and i know i am going to be on tender hooks untill next thurs when they do my blood again. I guess we are going to get these hicups, but not to often i hope.
Glad you are keeping well now.

CAROL
C Coleman