Skin Lesions

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thelma

Skin Lesions

Post by Thelma »

Can anyone identify these lesions for me? This is my elbow, but I've got lots of these on my arms. I can pick them off as they're dryish, and they don't bleed, but they can become sore and they come back. I don't make a habit of picking them btw, but sometimes I do it without realising what it is. I wonder if it's a side effect of medication, maybe azathioprine?

Transplanted 31st July 2012 - Vasculitis survivor
amanda in CA

Re: Skin Lesions

Post by amanda in CA »

Look like warts to me, common in immun-suppressed people (not sure if you are) but suggest that you ask your doc. Since we are not medical professionals and cannot give you a diagnosis.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

If in doubt get a referral to the dermatologist:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

:(

I stupidly didn't think you could get warts on your arms. My hands have been terrible in the past but I have just one (big one) now on a finger. My feet are covered and very painful.

I spoke to my doc about warts and have had blood tests for CD something or other (4? and another number) which are normally low in wart-infested people, but mine are fine. I have tried every treatment going, including a couple of years of weekly/fortnightly dermatology appointments for freezing which made no difference at all. I feel so ashamed and dirty.
Transplanted 31st July 2012 - Vasculitis survivor
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I have now started to get a small breakout of warts on 4-5 fingers. One became so big the skin cracked, I got an infection and now the nail is falling off!

On top of all this I have also had only me second ever boil on my bottom, the first about 4 months ago.

I know that my immune system is low due to the kidney failure but is there anything I can do to stop these repeate infections? Or do I just try to stay vigilant and catch them early?

Warts, I have been refered to a skin specalist, so waiting on that appointment.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Who?

Post by Who? »

Hi Thelma.

Old post to reply to, but I've had the same lesions very slowly spreading for the last 18 months, about a dozen all up. Very small to about the same size as the ones on your elbow. They don't seem to be warts, had them before, and are just small slightly scaly lumps. I also can pick the skin off the top (hard not to!) And they just come back. I also take azathioprine and since increasing the dose they appeared so must be related. Interested whether you found out what they are? If they spread further? Or if it's a side effect of azathioprine? Yours is the first relatable post I've come across online.
Cheers!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Who?,
See if this gives you more info https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drug/azathioprine.html