Renal Artery Flow Scan

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

NancyL

Renal Artery Flow Scan

Post by NancyL »

My Dr thinks I might have Renal Artery Stenosis. She has ordered a Renal Artery Flow Scan, I can't find any info about this test anywhere. Can anyone tell me anything about this test?

Thanks,
Nancy :?:
Cheryl in CT

renal scans for diagnosis

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, Nancy -

Sorry to hear what you're going thru. Nonetheless, do keep in mind that getting a clear diagnosis is going to be the first step in taking care of whatever issue it is that you're facing. Getting rid of the "unknowns" is going to be a great relief, psychologically, at least!

I'm not quite sure which of the various "scans" or diagnostic tests your doctor is referring to when she says "Renal Artery Flow Scan", but here's some info about the tests most often used in diagnosing Renal Artery Stenosis. You might want to ask if any of these is the one she has ordered:

abdominal ultrasound
This is an imaging test used to examine any of the internal organs of the abdomen, including the liver, gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, and kidneys. When focused on the kidneys, it can show paths of blood & urine flow and can help doctors evaluate if and where there could be problems. Sometimes also called a sonogram, this test is noninvasive and basically painless.

abdominal CT scan
A CT scanner is a sort of “upgradedâ€
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

My best guess is that she is referring to a renal arteriogram. or some sort of contrast scan..

Very probably one of those described by Cheryl..

If you want confirmation why not give your docs office a ring and confirm the technical name of the scan.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

The nurse said they would give me an injection, I would then have to wait an hour and then get xrays. I was told not to eat after midnight but drink plenty! Sounds kind of like a bone scan, I had a bonescan for RSD of my knee, sounds alot like that to me.
Thanks for your help!!
Nancy
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

It was a Nuclear Medicine Renal Scan. They injected me with a tracer and took xrays for the next half hour or so. They wouldn't tell me anything when it was over (of course) but when they first started I heard them say " there are the kidneys, and there is the hypertension" so it sounds like they saw something to me. What do you all think?
Thanks,
Nancy
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I don't think a lot.. the tech guys who do the scan have to wait on the radiologists report, they are not 'really' allowed to say much to the patient.

Sounds like they've confirmed that you have hypertension (raised blood pressure) on the kidney though...
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Jmig

Post by Jmig »

Hi,

I have just been recently dianosed with UPJ and going through the procedures to fix that problem. I just found out yesterday that I also have renal artery stenosis... my doctor suggested that I go though an angiogram and possibly an angioplasty. Have you had any tests already? Like a ultrasound, MRI or renal scan? If not, maybe your doctor will start there. Sounds like you and I are in the same boat!! Good luck and think happy thoughts! :D
NancyL

Post by NancyL »

My Dr called me today. When she told me who she was I knew something had to be wrong for the Dr to personally call me.
She said neither of my kidneys are functioning right, the right is worse than the left. She set up an appointment with a nephrologist but his first opening is June 21st. I see her next week to follow up on everything. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I'm scared to death.
Nancy