Looked at the other Poll that I posted---- Thanks

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Need for Assumed Consent for Organ Donation?

Yes
73%
No
18%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 22

Sandra

Looked at the other Poll that I posted---- Thanks

Post by Sandra »

HI -- :) Basically the Poll is...

Do you agree that there should be Presumed Consent for Organ Donation. Yes or No

I would like to see changes to help those who need organ transplants.

I would like your opinions, thoughts etc. Do any of you know if any of your countries have Assumed Consent? I am currently looking through the wide web and trying to find new information about this and if you provide any help that would be of great help. Thank you for your time and look forward in hearing from you.

Thank you for your time... :)
Last edited by Sandra on Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sandra from Canada :-D
George

Post by George »

I clicked yes..before reading correctly :oops: . I am in the uk and we don't have assumed consent, but I think it would be a great step forward if our polititions pulled their fingers out and change the law.
Sandra

Reply to George

Post by Sandra »

I totally agree that is why I am looking into it. Things are getting worse instead of better. This is my husand's second time on dialysis and the number of people on hemo and pd are increasing. Something has to be done!
Nikki

I agree !

Post by Nikki »

Hi sandra! I'm Nikki! :)
I'm from the uk and we don't have presumed consent. the government have been talking about it for what seems like forever but nothings been done! I think it should be like that all over the world then if people really we're against it they'd soon get a form wouldn't they and a lot more people would get new organs. people are crap at filling out donor cards and telling their families etc but if it was presumed and they objected I bet they do something about it pretty quick, so we'd all be happy then.
The government really annoy me, people who preach about stuff they know nothing about and have never experienced dialysis always do!!
Good luck with your poll. :wink: We're right behind you. xx
BrendaM

Assumed consent for donation

Post by BrendaM »

Hi Sandra
was about to complete the poll but couldn't decide whether I should be ticking the Yes or No box - sorry it wasn't made very clear (George also had trouble).
I do think the Govs should legalise Assumed Consent so that organs are not 'wasted' I also think many pepole who have died tragically would have wanted theri organs to help others but "hadn't thought it would happen to them yet" so hadn't completed donor cards.
Please tick appropriate box for me.
Can't cope with too much brain ache, the new look forum is bad enough :)
Elaine

Asumed consent??

Post by Elaine »

I ticked Yes to assumed consent. Just my own personal thoughts, maybe because when u see your own family desperate for chance of regaining their health whilst living with the effects of failure failure. I know in other countries has worked well apparantley.

Have to wait and see what happens for the future............... :roll:

Elaine UK :wink:
Sandra

Elaine

Post by Sandra »

Would you happen to know one or two of the countries which follow this procedure?
Elaine

Asumed consent - Reply to Sandra

Post by Elaine »

Hiya Sandra I think Spain is one of the countries that presume consent unless stipulated from people automatically. See Transplant Link web page They have a lotta details info etc about this topic ;)

Best Wishes Elaine uk :wink:
mac

Sorry for the late reply

Post by mac »

Hi, I've been away for a long, long time - but that's another story. I'm in Canada too, more precisely Quebec. This post caught my eye because there has recently been (June 2004) a new Action Plan on organ donation presented to Prov Govt. Basically it proposes to side-step the double consent presently required for permission to harvest the organs. At present this is done by confirming the donor's signed consent (the donor card - or rather the sticker) and confirming acceptance from the donor's family. The new plan proposed to have the donor make both consents, thus bypassing the family's consent. The first would be signing the form requesting the card/sticker and the second would be by afixing the signature to the card/sticker. I'm in the process of peeling the Plan now, and can say that, half way through, I see that it has completly neglected live donors. For example, in Alberta, live donation is at a 50% level of total donations. A shame that such a pool is totally neglected elsewhere.

Please post your findings. I'm raring to go to do something about restructuring the program here. It's got good momentum at the moment as the Govt Official who presented his plan is a heart recipient. Somehow that gives me faith that something will actually come out of this project.

All the best to you.
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

if you don't rephrase your question you are going to get a lot of very confused voters, me included. I think I have just voted incorrectly.
Sandra

Reposted Poll

Post by Sandra »

Ok I took your suggestion and put a new poll on the board and hopefully I can get more replies. Please look for the new poll