another visit to ER with dangerously low bp

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

another visit to ER with dangerously low bp

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, yesterday morning whilst in the shower, the muscles in my back started aching violently, and all of a sudden my leg muscles turned to jelly and I landed in a heap on the shower floor. Sat there for a few minutes, got up and the same thing happened again. got out, lay on the bed, tried taking my blood pressure and it would not even register. After a few minutes, managed to get a reading of 68/58. Phoned my doctor who said that I needed to call 911 to get an ambulance to take me to the hospital as I shouldn't drive (not surprisingly). Got my husband to take me. they gave me iv fluids, got it to come up some and then kicked me out with a prescription that raises blood pressure. They said that I was hypovolaemic from taking off too much fluid with PD. However, my blood pressure runs low even when I look like a cabbage-patch doll in the face with fluid overload. Taken this medication today, but haven't noticed a substantial difference in blood pressure increase. This is the second time that this is happened but comes as a surprise because just over a year ago I had a blood pressure that was dangerously high and not controllable with meds. Anyone else been in this situation?