New Bulletin Board

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

RuthAB

New Bulletin Board

Post by RuthAB »

I am reasonably annoyed to see that the posting I made yesterday afternoon has disappeared again, and neither appears on the old board, nor on the new one. I understand that the corruption is beyond your control, but had I known that a new board was in the offing today (I don't remember seeing anything about it on the old board), I would have waited to post until today.
I have to say that although a new board is a good idea from the corruption point of view - it seems far more complicated to use than the old board. I doubt I will be the only one thinking this...
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

new board

Post by JMan »

Better a new board and a lost post or 2 than no board at all??
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Ruth ...
there wasnt anything about replacing the board posted yesterday .... thats because it wasnt the intention of KPG to have this new one up and running so soon ...
but unfortunately the old board was attacked again last night by (for want of a better expression) hackers...
a whole load of messages have been lost all the way back to the begining of March ... so please dont take it as a personal slight that yours has dissapeared... lots did
I know it will take some time to get used to this new style but it will get a lot easier the more you use it
:0)

glad to see your here anyway
:0)
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Ruth,

At the end of the day - as you say - its beyond anyones control. I believe there were messages put up to say there was a new board, but they were probably deleted along with everything else.

This site is being maintained voluntarily and its good its been setup so quick.

The old board was insecure and outdated - unfortunately it had to replaced or it would not exist at all anymore,

Hal.
RuthAB

Lost Information

Post by RuthAB »

Hi
Thanks for your messages. It's just very annoying that for the second time, vital postings have been lost (albeit not your fault). It's frustration more than anything as for someone like me, this is my only lifeline to other kidney patients, and I cannot get realistic advice and information from any other source.
Just venting my frustration at the idiots that have to ruin it for everyone.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Will the archived old board still be open to attack by these spammers? If it is, then does that mean the old stuff will all eventually be lost? That would be a real shame if that were to happen.
Cheryl in CT

old KPG board - new KPG board...

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Just a quick thought for all who (like me) bemoan the "disappearance" of older posts on the former KPG board:

Newer posters may not be aware that under the old program, old posts used to be deleted after a given period of time, anyway, due to space restrictions. I remember when I was first posting myself that I wasn't aware of this, and I was very disappointed a few months later to discover that all the things I had written early on, post-transplant - and the replies - were gone.

As for those more recent messages that have disappeared (thanks to our "wonderful" hacker/spammer...), please keep in mind that our fellow poster Gil has managed to save an index of those posts and can most likely help you recontruct any that you might want to see again now.

I'm putting great faith in this newer board and hoping that as everyone gets used to it, we'll all find it a vast improvement over the old one.

Thinking of you all!
Cheryl
Andrea J

Post by Andrea J »

Hi everone, I am so glad to see this new format. Hopefully it will continue to inform and inspire all who enter. Thanks be to those who worked so hard to get it up and running. :D
Rachael

The old bulletin board

Post by Rachael »

Hi

The old bulletin board was made up of the main page plus every message, saved to the server as a separate page. The corruption that occured following the spamming affected the main page, but should have had no effect on the messages, as they are separate files.

Hopefully, if we can get hold of a reasonably recent copy of the BB main page, we should be able to reinstate most of the messages. What we can't do is regenerate the bulletin board from existing messages as there is no way of telling what message goes where.

The old bulletin board is still vulnerable to attack from spammers (although less so as we've removed the more obvious methods of posting to it) but as long as we have a local copy we can reinstate it (easy now no one is posting to it anymore). I'm also downloading all the messages on the server so that there is no chance of them being lost.

Best wishes
Rachael (KPG web master)
Rachael

The old bulletin board

Post by Rachael »

Thanks to Gil, we've now managed to reinstate most of the messages that were lost in the spamming. The old bulletin board archive now contains most of the messages posted between December 2003 and 18th April.

Many thanks for your help Gil.
Gil

Restoration

Post by Gil »

Hi to all,

I'll try to restore more posts during the weekend (and correct a few typos I made).
Each restored post is the first in a thread and when opened you can access the follow-up.

Gil
Cheryl in CT

for Gil

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, Gil!
I always said you were a real dear! Thanks so much for helping out here! Will be in touch soon.
love,
Cheryl
Gil

Post by Gil »

Hi Cheryl,

I have already emailed Rachael the update file with the restored posts up to the crash on Apr-22, but I don't see it yet.

I also restored a few posts from the previos crash.

Luv2U,
Gil

PS.
If anyone is interested in a specific lost post I can repost its link.
email me the details:
gil1 [at] pipeline.com
(replace [at] with @)
Rachael

Restored posts

Post by Rachael »

Gil's latest version of the old bulletin board, complete with restored posts is now live.

Thanks Gil for all your hard work.

Rachael (The KPG Team)