Do you drink alcohol?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Andy

Do you drink alcohol?

Post by Andy »

Do you drink alcoholic drinks?
If so, how much and how often?
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

Very rarely nowadays as it makes me feel ill and don't enjoy it really. The last time I had a drink was on my birthday with my brother who hardly ever drinks either. We managed to polish off 2 bottles of red wine but thats very rare.

I don't really enjoy going to the pub these days as I don't drink and just feel so detached from everyone else. I find it really difficult as I don't think they really understand why I don't want to go out.

It's all very well saying I can drink soft drinks but it's hard to connect with drunk people when you are sober and I just find them irritating. I shouldn't drink coke and can't stand lemonade and as far as alcholic drinks are concerned what am I supposed to be able to drink anyway?

this just makes me feel more depressed... :(

Mike
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Andy,

Dependent on mood and where I am or who I'm with really. I would emphasise though that i don't go over the top in any case - in moderation only.

I'll usually have 1-2 bottles of beer during the week (If I have any) and possibly a bit more at the weekend.

The thing I found about kidney failure is that when I am out, people just want you to drink because they aren't comfortable with seeing you without a drink and it isn't "Cool" per se well you know what I say to that - their problem, not mine. I don't drink like everyone else does (my mates, people like that) because I would like to give my transplant a better chance of a long life. They wouldn't take the blame if I was back on dialysis because I joined them in their weekling binges and put myself at risk like that - that is my perogative.

I don't miss drinking alchohol, in fact I rarely think about it.

Steve
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I've found I can't drink very much at all since my transplant, I've gone off the taste of alcohol and seem to get hangovers that last for days after only a couple of drinks, wine especially. What this does mean though, is I feel the effects of alcohol after only a couple of drinks too - makes me a cheap date :wink:
amanda in CA

alcohol

Post by amanda in CA »

When my transplant worked I used to drink alcohol, probably a bit too much on occasions. I cannot see how a transplant will be jeapardised by alcohol as it is metabolised by the liver, but nonetheless, I was told by my transplant doctor that I could drink in moderation, which is what any doctor would tell anyone regardless of their health status.

Now that I am on dialysis, although I don't have fluid restrictions, I just cannot take much alcohol, it just makes me feel sick so I have become virtually teetotal. Amanda
nycpetit

Drinking

Post by nycpetit »

Prior to my transplant I felt HORRIBLE if I had a drink. Post-transplant, at first it made me completely dizzy, even to just have a sip or two.

Seven months, nearly, out, I find I can drink, and enjoy it once again. however, I do so in extreme moderation as I notice that the tremors from Prograf will be increased the next day, and that I seem to get drunk very fast. Not that it ever took much, but a lot would be two glasses of wine.

I realize alcohol is not metabolised by the kidney, but our medications and alcohol both are metabolized by the liver, and I realize it's possible that I am making my poor liver work overtime to take those meds, and then top it off with alcohol.

So I am careful about drinking, and don't do it often.
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

My doctor said to me that I was OK to drink but I had to stop if I started to feel drunk :roll:

In reality I find that I can have two pints not feel drunk at all but wake up the next morning with the most tremendous hangdover imaginable. I can barely move.

Needless to say I`ve only done this twice. So now only I drink shandy (I know...)

PS: I`m three years post transplant.
Jim
johnsor

Post by johnsor »

I do not think there are any direct problems with alcohol consumption to the kidney. I think there might be some indirect issues like making sure you take meds. The biggest issue for me and suspect other tx patients is keeping my weight down. When you consume alcohol, it's my understanding one's liver is preoccuppied with processing alcohol when it could be more focused on food processing. Translation is one can gain weight. This is true for everyone (Tx or not), but since Tx patients seemingly fight weight problems, it can be a bigger issue for them. I like all forms of alcohol, but tend to stay with small glasse of wine since I do struggle with weight gain.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I have the odd couple of pints now and then (I had 2 bottles of Becks whilst out tonight for instance.)

I can empathise with anyone whose been on the tight fluid restrictions of heamo. I was on this whilst at Uni and Mike's comments make a lot of sense at least to me. I did however get to see the other extreme of alchohol effects on one of my block mates who was studying on the same course as myself. He overdid it on the drink and by the third year was horribly in debt, and looked very very unwell. An extreme case but best avoided.

(And like Mike I found a lot of the soft drinks were just as horrible!) There is a lot of social pressure to have a drink in many groups of people these days and standing without a drink in your hand can sometimes feel somewhat 'socially naked' (if you'll excuse the expression).

I didn't drink a lot whilst on heamo. Now with my transplant I figure the biggest risks are from dehydration (be sure to drink plenty of non alcholic drinks) and perhaps impaired judgement leading to mebbe missing or forgetting medications.

HTH.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
R30

Post by R30 »

Hi all
I never did drink much, so now I am post-tx it's not really a problem. If I do fancy a drink, I'll have a couple of bottles of lager, or stick to a couple of gin & tonics.
Like most of you, I would rather give my new kidney the best possible chance of long-term survival so tend to stay off things which could knowingly decrease its survival rate.
Incidentally, I was initially told that I couldn't drink alcohol at all when I had had my tx (I think I put a posting up about this). One of the Registrars said it would be best to avoid it altogether on tx meds; however, after speaking to others here about it, I realised that he only meant in my best interests, not for good.
I did read somewhere that it's best to avoid alcohol whilst on immuno-suppression therapy as it can affect the way it is metabolised and absorbed. Personally, I think it's fine as long as it is in moderation and infrequent.
Cheers
Ruth
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

I don't generally drink much. I went out with some old pals the other night and 3 of us had 3 bottles of wine - I didn't have a whole one to myself though! I know for a fact that I was pretty tipsy after one glass and felt absolutely smashed after 2! TBH I don't worry about it, I stop when I feel so drunk and when home I drink a good couple of pints of water - at least. I'm afraid I have to admit that this is nothing to do with my kidney function but more to do with being a very poor sufferer of hangovers. I'm 12 onths post transplant with a slowly failing kidney - mind you - despite my creatinine having been up at 450 it has amazingly gone back down to 300 and stablized!! I'm not going to stop what I'm doing - it obviously works for me!!