Normal/large amounts of concentrated urine, why??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

sue1234

Normal/large amounts of concentrated urine, why??

Post by sue1234 »

I am not a kidney patient, but would appreciate some insight!

I have POTS, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, where if I remain standing my heart rate and b/p go up and I feel lightheaded. So, I spend most of my time sitting at home or in the car. Anyway, this started 4 years ago(I am 50) and have been to many doctors to find out what is the root for this happening. So far, nobody has been able to find out.

Recently, I had to do a 3-day fast in the hospital, with IV at 3L/day. My urine output was roughly 2500 cc/day. What I noticed was my urine was medium yellow to a little darker the whole time. I would have thought that having 3000 cc of IVs and some drinking water would have diluted my urine to clear or light yellow.

I just did a 24-hour urine and the urine in the cup was medium yellow to orange(first morning). I drink probably 3/4 of a gallon of liquids daily, so no shortage of input!

I have always told the doctors about my POTS that I feel dehydrated and my skin on the back of my hands look like old vinyl record grooves!!

I know usually large amount of intake/output would mean dilute urine, and the opposite. But large intake/output with CONCENTRATED urine????