agitation?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

LAK

agitation?

Post by LAK »

how common is this symptom?

i explained in my earlier post that my father does not want dialysis. he's at 12% kidney function and is now in the hospital because of another heart attack (his fourth in 8 months). nephrologist estimates that he has 2-6 months to live.

he's gotten increasingly difficult to deal with. this weekend he was very angry that he could not get his way. if we didn't bring something fast enough or when nurse interrupted him, he would throw a tantrum. he even tried to leave the hospital while being hooked up to the iv.

has anyone experienced this?

thank you very much.

LAK
amanda in CA

agitation

Post by amanda in CA »

renal failure does affect your mood, but my experience with agitation relates more to my experience as a nurse. People can become agitated when they have electrolyte imbalances and this could be a likely cause of your father's behaviour. I would have a chat with the doctors who are caring for him and ask them if they agree with this. They may be able to prescribe something for him that will make him feel less agitated. the further heart attack may have resulted in this behaviour, as I have seen people behave very out of character following heart surgery. (My own grandfather, a normally very gentle man became like a completely different person for a while following heart valve replacement surgery). It could also be purely a manifestation of a feeling of a loss of independence and control and at having to rely on others to do simple daily tasks for him. Hope this may give you some clue as to the possible cause. Amanda
wing

Post by wing »

With my Nursey head on, I would agree with Amanda.
Uraemia (raised blood urea) can cause confusion which in turn can lead to agression, agitation and panicky feelings etc etc.
Definitely speak to the Doctors/Nurses looking after your Dad and since he has a life-limiting condition (from your description), ask if the Palliative care team could be involved in his care. They are the experts when it comes to the end stages of life, and their role is to make the end as peaceful and comfortable and un-traumatic as possible for both patient and family.
Best wishes to you and yours.
johnsor

Post by johnsor »

The electrolytes can definitely affect one's personality as was brought out earlier. I know from experience that if my magnesium levels dropped too low there was a propensity on my part to become agitated. Keep the faith and be as patient as you can with your father.
amanda in CA

agitation

Post by amanda in CA »

I, too agree with Wing, regarding getting the Palliative care team involved. As she has said, they are the experts in this sort of care. They can also set in action all the processes for oiling the wheels for getting for father transferred to a hospice for his final days. This may be a more restful place to be than a normal hospital, with the nurses and other carers being there to deal with the specific needs of a terminally ill person, in an environment which is less hectic and more homely. (hospices tend to get a large input of charity raised cash so are often well provided with more home comforts than a normal hospital would be). Amanda
LAK

thank you for your advice

Post by LAK »

i will ask the hospital's patient coordinator tonight about hospice care and how to apply for this.

LAK