Well, I made it 6 months!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Michele in TN

Well, I made it 6 months!

Post by Michele in TN »

I had my six month check up on Friday. Things are going great. I've not been sick outside of my ususal ear infections the entire time. Everyone keeps making fun of me as a germaphobic meanwhile they are all sick always and here I am healthy as a horse (they could learn something from us instead of making fun, right?) I keep getting bumped up on the prograf but that is okay as long as it keeps working. I am in school full time and doing clinical rotations. Right now I am in labor and delivery and love it. I do have a hernia where the pd tube was and it is starting to become painful at times. But the doctor said we'd just watch it for now as he knows I am not going to miss school, lol.
I hope you are all doing well. I am so busy lately. And I do thank God for that. The 6 month mark was a little hard. But not as hard as the holidays were. I keep thinking that somewhere a mother is sad because she is celebrating all of these first holidays without her child.
Emily is keeping me on my toes. In the past week she broke her arm was deemed in dire need of glasses and then the dentist decided she needs braces. She is dancing non stop. All over the US. LA is her favorite place. So between school, her commitments and my husband's doings I stay so busy that the computer is hardly ever turned on.
I need to check in here more though because you guys are the best.
(((((hugs))))
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Michele,

thats great news, hope you have many more months and years to come.

best wishes

mike
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Michelle :0)
its a great feeling passing another milestone isnt it :0)

its an even better feeling when 12 months come along
all the best
and do keep in touch and let us know how this are going

Rik
:0)XXX
Carolyn in CA

Post by Carolyn in CA »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Richard's at 3 months, so we're watching you for inspiration!

Keep up the good work!

Richard and Carolyn
Hal

Post by Hal »

Great to hear you are doing well Michelle,

Hal x
Pam

Post by Pam »

Dear Michelle,
I'm so happy to hear of your 6 month anniversary! It sounds like you are keeping plenty busy with that schedule...I'll bet that working in Labor and Delivery keeps you on your toes! :wink: It must be so rewarding to help all those new little lives come into the world! :D
I know what you mean by your donor family-it is a sad feeling, but it is also a celebration of their life to have given so many people such a gift.
Take care of yourself!
God bless,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Michele,

I meant to add this to my first post.. I was just going to say that I have a hernia at the moment which hasn't given me much pain apart from when it was first diagnosed and after my first op but just take it easy, don't overexert yourself or lifting anything more than 1 or 2 kg (pretty hard to do in reality especially when you are on APD as each bag weighs 5kg !) as that can make it worse. I find that if it is starting to hurt I just have a lie down and that helps.

take it easy and I really hope it gets sorted soon

best wishes

Mike :D
nycpetit

YEA!!

Post by nycpetit »

I am right behind you!! Just 8 days!! It's amazing how the time passes isn't it???

Congratulations !!
amanda in CA

Michelle

Post by amanda in CA »

I well remember the problems that you had when you started PD and how you wondered if you could stick it. Your positive posting should certainly provide encouragement to anyway just starting PD and struggling with the problems that you get in the early days. Love Amanda
Michele in TN

Post by Michele in TN »

Thanks guys!
I never thought I would make it through the first months of pd like Amanda said. You guys were so awesome and were there for me with every little twinge. I am now a strong advocate for pd. Imagine that, lol.
Michele, 30
Mom to Emily, 11
Wife to Chris
Transplanted 07/29/04
Creatinine 0.9 2/07
stopping prednisone due to severe renal osteodystrophy 11/06
R30

Post by R30 »

Congratulations Michelle; that's a big milestone to hit. I am very glad to hear you are doing so well. I have just past my 3 month milestone and have had no illness since the op itself. Meanwhile, those around me are coming down with flu, stomach bugs etc. and none of it seems to affect me. There's definitely something to be said for those pills we take!
Keep up the good work Michelle.
Ruth :D
Iain

Post by Iain »

That's great news, the first 6 months are always the hardest. I remember how relieved I was to get to that point without any real problems. I don't have a hernia where the PD tube was, but I have a small fibrous lump beneath the skin where it was. The doc basically said the same thing, that they'll just keep an eye on it and if it starts causing any discomfort they could easily remove it for me. I do have an "umbilical hernia" in my belly button, whatever that is. They only found it after transplant but I guess I must have gotton it whilst I was on PD. Needless to say I was surrounded by swarms of med students having a good old poke at it cos it's apparently fairly rare to see...

I can totally sympathise with the mixed feelings you get whenever any sort of transplant anniversary comes around. It's always in the back of my mind that whilst I'm celebrating some other family are thinking back to when their loved one died. I try not to think about it too much.