question about fluid retention

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

question about fluid retention

Post by Mike »

Hi all,

Just a quick question, as I still have a fairly large output I have been finding problems with being very dry in the morning and after speaking to my PD nurse she said I can effectively drink as much as i want and I haven't got to restrict my fluid intake.

I don't know quite how I would feel when I have fluid on me so I am not sure if I have or not but for instance I have drunk just over a litre since getting up this morning and my ankles aren't swollen but after I have drunk quite a bit I start to feel cold and my face and particularly my eyelids feel kind of heavy. I'm not very good at describing this but would this be an indication of some fluid retention.

I'm not able to weigh myself where I am now as I am at work so can check that way.

any help would be appreciated.

Mike :D
Andy

Post by Andy »

Sorry Mike I cannot hlp. What abiut decribing how you are feeling to your PD nurse and see what they suggest.

Andy
x x
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hi Mike..

Feelings of fluid retention can include the following..
Swollen ankles
Puffiness around the eyes (esp after sleeping)
tightness of skin (felt in hands & feet sometimes)
a way to test is to 'pinch' the skin on the back of the hand... if it leaves an imprint, you might be carrying some fluid.
peripheral coldness (being 'cold round the edges') this might include cold feet, hands, ears, nose.

If you feeling it in your face.. why not take a pic of yourself, or look in the mirror to see if you can 'see' any difference?

Hope this helps..
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Andy & Jim

Thanks very much for the info, I'm pretty sure that I did have a little bit of fluid of me yesterday and it was the first time that I was aware that I had. I've been drinkng a lot more than I used to and it is making a difference about the way I feel it the morning and my initial drain is so much better than it previously was. I think I've just got to accept that I will never feel great in the morning but I expect I'll get used to it.

I seem to get everything backwards with my kidney failure! :roll:

My Hemoglobin is higher now than it has ever been and I'm drinking more water now than before I was on dialysis. I've always drunk a lot of tea and coffee but that isn't the best thing to drink as they are diuretics. I eat more chocolate and other naughty stuff than I ever have before and my levels are all fine...strange eh?

anyway thanks very much I really appreciate it.

Mike :D :D