Question about my Creatinine and eGFR

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Stephen

Question about my Creatinine and eGFR

Post by Stephen »

Hi

I went off to the hospital on Wednesday, and I was wondering if members could answer this question? Does a eGFR of 19 sound reasonable when my Creatinine is 300, or is the eGFR too low? I'm beginning to loose wieght, and I was thinking if my consulatant may go for dialysis sooner than she would normally.

Thanks
Stephen
AmitChouhan

Post by AmitChouhan »

Mine was roughly that when my creatinine was around 300-400,

but try using this tool as a GUIDE only. My GFR actual reading comes close to this calculator.

http://www.kidney.org/professionals/kdo ... ulator.cfm

beware that all calculations have an element of approximation in them, the important thing to watch is trend over time.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi,

Thanks for that. According to the calculator my eGFR is about where it should be for 300. I know its difficult, but can anyone guess how long I have left before dialysis?
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Hi Stephen, my eGFR is 14/creatinine 315, and the plan is (touching wood!) to avoid dialysis by going for a pre-emptive transplant (husband is donating) From what I gather, there is no generic formula for going on dialysis, as everyone functions differently on what's left. It's very much down to other bloodwork and how the individual feels I think. When I was at the transplant clinic, the co-ord. told us about a student nurse at the hospital who was feeling very run down but put it down to the stress of studying, shiftwork, long hours etc. Finally she went for tests only to discover her eGFR was running at 5. It's such a fine balance for most of us, but as long as you're feeling 'OK' make the most of it.
At the moment, I'm beginning to feel a little more tired, sometimes have a sicky feeling, but still work full time. I do tend to crash out about 10pm though! And find it extra difficult to get up in the morning (probably because it's dark again at 6!)
Best of luck!
Aileen, Cambs
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Everyone is different, but I went for about 5 years with creatinine swinging between 250-350. It was only when it got to around 500 that I started to feel unwell and went on dialysis.

Nicola
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Stephen wrote: can anyone guess how long I have left before dialysis?
Short answer is no, I'm afraid. Much as we'd all like to plan for that day, we simply don't know and there's no magic formula for working out the date either. I'd say just get on with life as if you don't need to worry about it and keep healthy, and keep in good contact with your clinic team. :)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi

Thanks for the info. Its just that I thought that I shouldn't be feeling as listless as I do. I mean 300 isn't that bad.

I've lost a stone in weight in about a month and I'm anaemic. But hopefully I'll feel better when and if I'm put on EPO at my next appointment in 3 months. My eGFR has fallen by 6 in the last 18 months, is this a big decrease in that amount of time?

Best wishes
Stephen
Last edited by Stephen on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

Can you not ask for some help in the meantime? Three months seems an awful long time to wait!

I was started on iron infusions in January when my Cret. was only about 230 (eGFR was 18 then i think) because I felt so tired and awful and it did help a bit, and then last month I was put on EPO to try and combat my anaemia. It's started to "kick in" now and I feel pretty good, better than for ages despite my Cret. being just about the highest it has ever been (330, eGFR 14)!

You shouldn't need to wait three months to get help with feeling listless - if your blood tests show low iron or low Hb your team should be able to do something about it sooner? Best of luck! :)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Keith

I'm sorry, I only know what my creatinine, eGFR and phosphate is. My phosphate is 1.7 which I gather is higher than Ideal.

Stephen
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Hi Stephen, I can only go by my own experience! but a fall of 6 in 18 months seems reasonable enough ('reasonable' doesn't seem to be the right word but you know what I mean!) 2 years ago I was at 24 and today at 14 so there's 10 down in 2 years... seems the less you have left, the faster it goes. Maybe it also depends on the nature of the kidney disease? As I said I 'm only an expert on me! :D

best, Aileen
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

You may feel like you do because you need epo. My renal failure was diagnosed because of anaemia. At diagnosis I had 25% kidney function but I was really tired all the time and often felt unwell.
SusanBlazor

Re: Question about my Creatinine and eGFR

Post by SusanBlazor »

Hi Everyone, :D

My name is Susan Blazor and I am in Westport Oregon. I just had a test done to check my microalbumin/creatinine levels. My Microalbumin was at 30 and my creatinine was at 300 and my acr was at <30. I have read some of your posts and they are all very touching. :( Like Stephen mentioned; he wanted to know his egfr at, with a creatinine level of 300. Would I possibly be looking at the similar percentage myself of around 19 gfr. If anyone was any input, I welcome it wholeheartedly. :D I look forward to getting to know you all!! :D Take Care One and All!! :D God Bless You!! :D

Blessings,

Susan
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hello Susan,

This may help you sort out what 'normal' is. http://www.edren.org/pages/edreninfo/bl ... isease.php
It is a very reliable website but tends to be a bit technical.

This one is very good http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/contents.php

With both of them, you may run into difficulties with the units of measurement, the USA tends to be different but there are plenty of converters on the internet.

Dialysis is usually thought about when eGFR is around 10 - 12%, depending on the patients general health.

In the mean time you need to get your blood pressure well down, 120/80 is the usual target, eliminating salt from your diet is the first step towards this.
You may have a low red cell count (anaemia - makes you feel tired) because kidneys are involved in signalling that more red cells are required.
Healthy kidneys produce a hormone called EPO (short name) sick ones make less, and less, therefore EPO shots may be needed and Iron, though these should be prescribed when required.

A good healthy diet helps, plenty of green vegetables, fruit, and other high fibre foods. This does not help your kidneys but helps to keep up your general health.
Most fruit juice drinks are not high fibre because they have the fibre removed, whole fruit drinks are OK.

Drink about 2 litres a day, water or anything water based.

Best wishes.
SusanBlazor

Post by SusanBlazor »

Hi Wagolynn, :D

Thank You So Much for your feedback and your input!! :D I really do need to get in better health!! :D You Take Care!! :D God Bless You!! :D

Blessings, :D

Susan
SusanBlazor

Post by SusanBlazor »

Hi Everyone, :)

Does anyone know what could be the serum creatinine reading if a random creatinine urine test gave me a reading of 300 and albumin 30 and an acr <30. I welcome all input!! :D Thank You One and All!! :D Take Care!! God Bless!! :D

Blessings,

Susan