suffering from a transplant "complication"

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

cathie

suffering from a transplant "complication"

Post by cathie »

Hi
I'm looking for help, advice or words from others on a distressing situation. My brother lost his kidneys to a rare disorder about 14 years ago at the age of 20. He went through four years of dyalisis before he got his first transplant. Although it wasn't a perfect match it worked and lasted almost ten years. For almost two years now he has been waiting for another kidney. Well this last Monday they found a perfect match on :cry: all 6 antigens. He couldn't have been happier. Unfortunatly something happened in surgery and the artery ruptured and the kidney was removed 12 hours later. First he was told that he "coughed" and now the story has been changed to he "moved" during surgery which ruptured the artery. Basically he was not given enough anthesia and woke a little in surgery.

What I would like to know is does this complication happen often? Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? My brother is devestated. He thought he was being given a new lease on life and because he "involuntarily" moved during surgery he lost it.

I wonder if he should take legal action? Any feed back would be most helpful. Please e-mail me back if you would at: [email protected]

Thank you so much,
cathie