Living kidney donation - pass it on

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Helen Rambaut

Living kidney donation - pass it on

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Last Friday I was in a 4 bed bay for a (routine surveillance) biopsy. The others were a woman having a biopsy on her native kidney; a woman with an 18 year old transplant from her mother; a woman with a 10 year transplant.

This evening the woman who had the native biopsy called me. After seeing us with transplants, and the two who had living kidney donors, she felt things wouldnt be so bad as we looked pretty good to her. She had gone home wondering how she could ever think of anyone who would donate to her. And.... she told a family friend who said he would give her one if it ever came to it. She is B and he is O. So how great is that. Its got the idea going at least and hopefully well before she might need one.

In spite of our upbeat confidence in living on dialysis I would still opt for a transplant if I could get one.

Helen