So tired I can barely type: Brain fog?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

So tired I can barely type: Brain fog?

Post by Pam »

Hi all,
Here lately-in the past few months or so, I cannot type letters on my keyboard without getting them mixed up-(kind of dyslexic-like)-and if someone tells me something, literally minutes later, I cannot remember what they said! :oops:
I seem to have severe brain-fog and am so tired I can barely make myself do anything-usually, I am pretty energetic.
I know that this has been addressed before on the board and I know it is common in dialysis patients, but have any of you with transplants had problems with these fuzzy feelings? My hematocrit and hemoglobin are fine as far as I know and other blood chemistries seem okay.
Just wondering what any of you do when you feel like this-(besides sleep and lie around! :roll: ) It seems like it has gotten worse in the past few months-I am going to mention it to my doctors at my next appointment...perhaps it is just cabin fever or the doldrums from this cruddy weather we have been having lately.
Anyone for Spring?
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
AmitChouhan

Post by AmitChouhan »

over the past few months Ive began to notice similar features to my behaviour. My memory is totally shot - whilst i can't remember what happened 5 minutes ago, I'm still excellent with my long term memory. My typing has also taken a knock. I used to be able to type fairly perfectly but now i'm making lots of mistakes - it's like my hand-eye coordination has been impacted, not that it was any good in the first place.

Also my concentration levels have severely dipped and if i have intensive periods of concentration I'm absolutely knackered
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I've noticed that I increasingly type homophones, like 'hear' when I mean 'here' and 'their' when I mean 'there'. I usually notice in time to correct them, but it seems to be something that didn't used to to happen.
Last edited by bigbuzzard on Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gillymac

fog

Post by Gillymac »

Hi Pam,

My family are always telling me off for being ignorant, I say Im not Im just in my own world, Its like im not thinking at all. And I get tired if I have to concentrate for any length of time. I forget words too or mispronounce them, and have to write lists if its something important to remember.
I was told it could be the drugs, but mine have reduced considerably and Im no better.

Hope your dr can help you take care 8)
tommc

Post by tommc »

Hi

I know the brain fog feeling as you call it. Not being able to concentrate and a memory full of holes. Ive been anemic since i went on dialyis and probably before as well and for two years took iron im now off it and was diagnosed as having peritanacious anemia(not sure about the spelling) anway they gave me a course of vitamin b12 injections 6 over a fortnight and then one every 3 months. Theres been a notacable improvement in my memory and i can concentrate better though im not as good as i used to be. I find studying hard now dont take things in as well but its definatly better since the injecctions.

Tom
Transplanted 31/05/09

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

If your on dialysis, it means/may mean not enough, or an imbalance (maybe slight) in your electrolytes (figures to us lay people). Pre dialysis, it means your kidneys probably aren't dialysing you enough.

Dialysis replaces a small percentage of kindey function (just enough to keep you alive :) so no surpise we feel a bit washed out.

They say that brazil nuts help with concentration so you could try a few (within allowance)Certainly on dialysis, I can't concentrate during the last hour to half hour.. And I really HATE it when doctors come talk to you, or do a "round" in the unit then.. But there probably not aware of that. Maybe I need to remind them;)

Another thing that affects me is Hb.. If it drops low, I drop low, concentration & everything!

I find it hard to concentrate. Sometimes it seems to be as little as needing some sugar or salt, and a small drink. I also find it a lot harder when I get tired.

I've started writing things down, more.. Almost like daily 'shoppings lists' of things to do, in a day, or month, otherwise I just can't keep up with things.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hi Pam,

I thought of something others have not mentioned and I hate to mention it myself but I understand you are becoming a woman of a "certain age." Could your symptoms possibly be related to the big "M" as in (whisper) menopause? I recognize myself in your symptoms. You can start to have some symptoms, like you describe, prior to the most obvious physical one. Try to do some research on the subject and see if it fits. You could also have your Doc run a blood test for your hormone levels.

In a fog,

Anne
Pam

Post by Pam »

Thanks so much for all your replies.... Anne, I think you might be on to something. (you gave me a smile with your post!) I have entered menopause and I can say it has been a relief to get rid of "that time of the month" :roll: and all the migraines I used to have! I haven't had many problems with menopause except for hot flashes.
But I have been in menopause for about three years and just now am getting these particular symptoms of tiredness and memory lapses... :? I suppose it may be that the symptoms come at different times for everyone-I have never been known for doing things "by the book". I am going to take your advice and read up on it-(I really haven't much)-maybe that is a form of denial? :wink:
Thanks again, everyone-It makes me feel not quite so weird knowing many of you have similar experiences.
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
mavis

brain fog

Post by mavis »

I am a new visitor. I have had my kidney transplant for the last 8 years.

I have the same problem. What works for me is regular exercise, reading and multivitamins. It takes a while for your mind to reajust.
mavis
Pam

Post by Pam »

Welcome to the board, Mavis! I hope you will visit often.... :D
I don't think it could be the lack of adjustment to anything-I have had my transplant for 30 yrs and just now am experiencing these symptoms. Perhaps it could be the combination of meds-I have noticed that many of them carry a warning that they could cause drowsiness, but this seems different. My doctor also told me the kidney is "wearing out" so I am concerned about that maybe having some effect. Exercise does help, but here lately I haven't been able to do much of it because of the weather-I do love to read! It seems to help with depression.
Congratulations on having your transplant for 8 yrs! Was it living-donor or deceased donor? I think you will find that the people here are really informative and friendly...and a bit crazy at times! LOL :wink:
Pam
Elemc

Post by Elemc »

Hi Pam

I've had my transplant for a while too (coming up to 25 years) and I feel like I'm wading through glue a lot of the time. Feel tired with lupus anyway but you are right, most of the meds say 'can cause tiredness' so I suppose it's really no suprise that we do end up feeling more tired than others of a similar age..

A lot to be thankful for though :D

Take care.

Lesley
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hi Pam,

I began menopause just before beginning PD. I had very little in the way of symptoms for the two years I was on PD. When I had my transplant, three years ago, the symptoms began with a vengence and have continued, It is my understanding the symptoms can change over time and it is possible to suddenly have some new ones. I pray your symptoms are caused by the "natural" process of menopause and are not related to your kidney.

Anne
Pam

Post by Pam »

Thank you, Anne for the prayers and kind words....I, too, hope it is "just" menopause-it's strange to think of "the change" :roll: so casually, but it is certainly better than a kidney issue.
Lesley-welcome to the board! It is good to hear from another "old timer"! :wink:
Yes, you are certainly right-a lot to be thankful for when we've had our transplants for so long! A fellow named Bill on this board has also had his transplant for over 30 yrs so there are a few of us "pioneers" left!
You should check out the Quarter Century Club-it is an organization founded by a fellow long-term transplantee, George Franklin for people who have had transplants 25 yrs or longer-there are quite a few of us! I hope you visit!
Best wishes,
Pam
www.quartercenturyclub.org
spex

Re: So tired I can barely type: Brain fog?

Post by spex »

Pam wrote:Hi all,
Here lately-in the past few months or so, I cannot type letters on my keyboard without getting them mixed up-(kind of dyslexic-like)-and if someone tells me something, literally minutes later, I cannot remember what they said! :oops:
I seem to have severe brain-fog and am so tired I can barely make myself do anything-usually, I am pretty energetic.
I'm having similar symptoms - not the typing issue, but forgetting things after a few minutes, depression, and feeling handicapped when performing any mentally demanding task.
Also feeling sleepy during the day after 8+ hours of nightly sleep. I have no blood related problems that I'm aware of other than occasional rises in BP.
Matty Vim

Re: So tired I can barely type: Brain fog?

Post by Matty Vim »

A common side effect of dialysis is low blood pressure and decreased blood flow to the brain, which may result in cognitive impairment. It may also cause dizziness and fainting. It is important to see your doctor if you are experiencing these side effects repeatedly. If you ignore them you may end up with serious brain damage and other complications.