Old Borris and all ya'll!...I'm doin' well!!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Ronnie Magnolia Springs

Old Borris and all ya'll!...I'm doin' well!!!

Post by Ronnie Magnolia Springs »

Howdy all...

Well at least I was doing well..until I read the terrible news that Old Borris will be living right below floor 13. I almost fell outta my chair laffin!!!
Old Borris...I have been reading your stuff since ya' been here. Wish we lived in the same country. On the other hand it is probably best we don't. I think there is a rule somewhere about one of our type per continent... or something like that.

Finally got up the nerve to fire my nephrologist. Now going to see a new guy next month. The problem was that my regular nephrologist in Mobile would change my medicine or recommend some other type of change. Then I would go see the doctors at U.A.B. (my transplant hospital) for my regular check-up. They would ask ME why the doctor in Mobile had made whatever decision that he had made. Then they would make a change to the meds or whatever and send me back home. Of course then I would see my neph in Mobile and he would ask ME why they had made the changes in Birmingham!

On my last trip to U.A. B. I discussed this problem with the doctor I saw up there. He never told me to change my nephrologist in Mobile..but he did let me know that it might be better if I was seeing a doctor that was trained by them. I got his message loud and clear. Soon as I got back to town, I called and made the change. Hopefully I will be talking to doctors that are now reading off the same page.

Remember that last little round I was having where the doc in Mobile had them taking blood from me because my red blood cell count was too high?
The doctors in Birmingham said that having a high red blood cell count meant that you had a strong kidney. They told me that the belief that you had to be bled because of high RBC count was old...thirty years ago. That was another reason for me changing nephrologists.

Hope all is doing well. I know I promised to be more regular after transplant..and my commitment at the time was real. I now understand why folks get away from the forum after they have their transplant.

Life really does return to very close to normal. I take my meds and have some of the very few minor problems that transplant patients have to deal with but other than that...Goodness gratious!!!!.. it is so good to feel healthy again. I am working harder than I ever have in my life...because I now enjoy being able to work and be productive more than I ever have. I play harder than I ever have before...because I once faced the facts that I might not ever be able to enjoy my hobbies again. I love harder than I ever have before...because I now understand just how fine that line can be between being healthy and being here to enjoy family...and not.

Life is wonderful.... Big ole hugs to everyone
Ronnie
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

so glad you've revisited and that you are doing so well. I always look forward to your postings.
karen

soooooo glad to hear from you!

Post by karen »

Dear Ronnie, i am so glad to hear you are doing well...claude is stable so far...so good.I have great hope for the future....just wanted to thank you again for your kindness in october 2002...i felt i was drowning and you were truely my liferaft!!! karen
Pam

Post by Pam »

Ronnie!
So glad to hear that you are doing well! :D :D :D Those docs can be something else with their different opinions and recommendations....I have had a lot of that recently. I'm glad that you got everything straightened out and don't have to feel like a yo-yo with all the back and forth changes in your meds, etc! :wink:
Take care of yourself and that kidney! 8)
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28