Catheter fixation

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

June Adn

Catheter fixation

Post by June Adn »

Been on PD for just over 2 weeks now, got to grips with the hand washing and procedure but still not sure how best to secure the length of catheter.

Anyone got some good ideas or handy tips to assist.

Thks &
Regards June
Elaine

Hello ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya my daughter was on p/d 18 mnths. Tried a belt etc with p/d tube found it aggrivated exit site making hole bigger and very sore :shock:
So with advise of nurse used Micropore tape stuck to dressing primapore trying not to stick to skin area as gets soo red n rash like.This worked well for her and found much more comfortable than tying round her waist etc, although shes 16 accidently they used a paediatric size so tube wasn't too long so that was useful. :wink:

Hope this gives u some ideas speak 2 u renal nurses and Drs etc see wot suits u seems strange at first, especially wearing clothes etc. Often found elasticated trousers more comfortable than fitted ones etc. :)

best wishes & good luck Elaine UK :wink: :lol:
R30

PD tubing

Post by R30 »

Hi June
Personally I use one piece of large Mepore over the exit site and then tape a small part of the tube down on top of that (not on skin as it tends to pull skin off when removed). This means that should my catheter be pulled at any point during the day, it will only pull on the tape or mepore and not the exit site itself.
Sometimes, the Mepore gets to the point where it also removes skin when taken off, and I then just cover the exit site up with a piece of gauze and leave the tube to dangle in my trousers until the skin has healed. Or I use Mepore further along my stomach so I still have an anchor point.
Hope this helps.
Ruth
amanda in CA

Securing PD tube

Post by amanda in CA »

I have tried every tape available including Mepore and Durapore and have encountered irritation from every one. I have also tried two types of belt and did not get on with them either finding them uncomfortable (felt like wearing a sanitary belt). Nowadays I do not tape it at all. I find that if I buy hi-leg kniickers, i.e. the ones that are quite deep, that the catheter sits quite comfortably in these. You just have to be careful not to pull the catheter. My dialysis nurse told me that granulomas (an overgrowth of tissue at the exit site) are generally caused by pulling on the catheter. However, in my experience if you are prone to it, it happens anyway, since I did tape my catheter when I did dialysis 11 years ago and I still got them. Best wishes, Amanda
LW Adams

Post by LW Adams »

I've been on pd for just over one year now, and during training my PD nurse sugested a tube top so I tryed it , and now I have differant ones for every day of the week. Hope this helps
wing

Post by wing »

I'm not sure that I know what a "tube top" is - do you mean a sort of "boob tube"? (Which is fine if you're 18 and slim as a reed but if you're well over 25 and could gain employment as Dawn French's body double, this is not an option!!!!)
Please tell me what a tube top is - thanks.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I think you have guessed right Wing.. judgeing by this post..:)

http://kidneypatientguide.org.uk/newBB/ ... ?p=248#248

point is its large, stretchy and tubular.. there must be something similar that'd work on the market for something :?:
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Julie

PD Belt

Post by Julie »

I bought three of these for my husband from the company in San Francisco. They shipped to the UK - I ordered over the phone with a credit card. My husband wore them in the winter but felt they're too warm in the summer and you can see them through his thin business shirts. In winter of course he's wearing a white t-shirt/vest thingy under his business short so you can't see the PD belt at all then.

http://www.patientspride.com/

Good luck.

Julie
xxx
Andy

Post by Andy »

hi I used to secure my Pd tube by sticking another dressing over the top with two little slits in it that allowed the tube to fit nicely in.

if i was wearing a tight top i usually tucked it down inside my knickers so it didnt catch.

I also used to use mepore and stick it around the tube so the mepore actually stuck together under the tube and then stuck it to the dressin!

These are a few ideas but i think the best way is to try differnt ones out and see whcih ones work best for you.

andy
LW Adams

Tube Tops

Post by LW Adams »

Hey guys, I have two things to address at this time. First here in the US, in the summer time, the ladys were tube tops. They are pieces of material that are sown together to forn a tube, then you slide it over head and around your top or around your middle. I've been using one sense starting PD in May of 2003, I have about 10 of them now, some of them are light in weight and I even have two, which my wife made me, that are thermal for the winter also one made of small hole fish net. Hope this clears up the tube top thing.
Now for the realy good news, My wife and I have been trying to get her qualified to be my donor. Well it took just about one year and alot of praying to get us here and yesterday we seen the surgeon, he told us that we are a GO and we need to get a date set up. So we called my transplant coordinator and tryed to get a date yesterday but they just had to put me off entail this morning. We have a date of 12 Oct 04, tried to get it sooner but Oct is fine. Now I hope this time will go by fast so we can get back to some kind of life without this machine.
Well I will keep everyone posted on this and hope that I've cleared up this tube top thing.
Have fun and try to live well. LW
Hal

Post by Hal »

Firstly good luck to you and your wife with the transplant LW Adams.

I tape my catheter just next to the exit site with a thin strip of Medipore tape. I tape it in the same direction it comes out of me so not to irritate the exit site etc. I then tape across a little further along, curving the tube upwards a little.

I then coil the rest of the tube up to the end and tape it with 3 long strips of medipore tape just below the rib cage.

Hal.