Pregnancy after Transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Anon

Pregnancy after Transplant

Post by Anon »

Hi, Im wondering can you you get pregnant Post Tranplsant. I had a Transplant late 2003. Im not considering yet, and its not even in the near future but i am just wondering in about 10 years down the line.
Are there more complications than a normal pregnancy?? Is it not reccommended??

Cheers
preciouslove0902

RE: pregnancy

Post by preciouslove0902 »

Hello,
My doctor has given me the thumbs up to become pregnant. They advise you to wait until you are 2 years post transplant and I will be on Sept. 6th. If you are on Cellcept that is the only medication that I know of right now that will have to be changed. It also is a possibilty that you will have the baby early. But I guess it depends on the person because I have talked to several women that went full term with the pregnancy and had no problems. So I will keep you and whoever else wants to know updated on my situation. My situation is a little different because I have to take estrogen pills because my estrogen was so low. My doc says it is because of the meds. I hope I helped you out a little. You may feel free to ask me anything you wish.

God Bless,
Miriam :D
amanda in CA

pregnancy post transplant

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, I had a transplant for 10 years before it gave up on me. Two years before that I had a beautiful little boy (now 3.5 years). I knew that my kidney was deteriorating at the time so didn't want to miss the window of opportunity and ended up having IVF because I had years of not getting pregnant naturally (I'm sure that renal failure played a factor in this, but it was not deemed to be the complete cause). In fact at the latter end of the kidney's life seemed like a good time to get pregnant because of the fact that pregnancy does put a risk to the kidney. Since I knew that it only had a limited time left, I knew that I would be risking losing years of health as I would have done had I had my pregnancy when first transplanted. However, I would strongly advise not to wait ten years since transplants do have a 'life span' and 10 years may be pushing the window a bit. Hope it doesn't happen but there's a chance that your kidney will not be functioning in 10 years, since statistically they last 8-10 years for a cadaveric transplant (I do appreciate that yours may have been a live donor but even these do not go on forever. I suggest that you talk about your wishes to your nephrologist, they may be able to suggest the 'best' time to attempt a pregnancy, this seems to usually be when your medications following transplant are at a stable maintenance level. Please e-mail me privately if you wish to. Good luck, Amanda
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Short answer

Yes..

Are there risks? Yes.

Can it be done successfully? Yes..

Find a good doc willing to support and monitor and there's no reason why not.. Its not an uncommon question on the board and I wish all the power and luck and joy in the world to women who decide to go through with this with a transplant .

Some of the stories I've read in the past 10 years are most touching and a successes a joy to behold.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast