I'm Home!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nycpetit

I'm Home!!

Post by nycpetit »

I got here last night. I am just so darned tired, that it is hard for me to sit in a comfortable position to post. My stitches were done very, very low so that I can wear a bikini with no scar showing. Yes, I have no staples, just stitches that will dissolve on their own. Doesn't mean they don't get itchy though!!

I could answer a lot of questions. I just don't know where to begin right now. I lost a lot of blood in the operation and they were going to do a transfusion, but didn't. I think my Hg right now is about 6. They flooded me with fluid, I mean, 7 kilos! Which I am still trying to get rid of. I could not even stand, but was forced to. My weight went from 40.5 to 47.8 kilos overnight. They do this to make the kidney work, and also, at first I was just absorbing all the fluids post-op. I was not happy with that part. And I think due to my small size, they over did it a bit. It was so painful that I needed oxygen to breathe because of the fluid in there. My right side is the most swollen, due to where the kidney was placed. It's going down slowly, but seems to make recovery harder.

The clinic visits start tomorrow. I was in the hospital for six days, but it was supposed to be five.I had to go a day early because my potassium was too high. So, although I had never done dialysis before, I had to do one session with a groin catheter. It was rather unpleasant to say the least.

In any case, just wanted to say, that it WAS a wonderful unit. Every single person was fantastic, supportive, smiling, patient, kind, and attentive. There was not one person who was not fabulous. And that was a wonderful thing. My donor and I were on the same unit. He was two doors away. Went home on Sat. (surgery on Thursday) and could have gone home on Friday if he wanted. He has no pain, he's fine, walking, working and eating. Completely unfazed.

I am a little less good at the moment. Tired, itchy (I think from the thymo or from the Bactrim, we are not sure which), had a Foley for four days (well it came out on the fifth, again standard protocol there) and it was un- comfortable. And as an interesting laugh for you all, how many of you women get your period the day after major surgery, and an infection on top of it?? :lol: I was an absolute mess.

I'll be back here soon. Just post with whatever I am leaving out. I am not too fuzzy, just very tired. It's in it's own way, a wonderful experience. A true gift.
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hi Natalie,

Glad your are home and all is going well! Sounds like you had a bit of a rough time but every day you will be able to do a little more. It will take a bit of time for it all to come together, especially with the low hgb. Hang in there, you will soon be running circles around everyone!

Delighted to hear your Stepdad is recovering so well.

Love to you both,

Anne
Elaine

Natalie u home wonderful news ;)

Post by Elaine »

Natalie wonderful news u home sooo pleazed 4 u and bet u glad op over etc now;) Keep us posted on u progress have posted some messages 4 u on board over last few days :lol: :roll: :D

Glad that Drs & Nurses sounded sooo lovely makes such a difference 2 u stay in hospital :lol:

best wishes Elaine & Rach UK :lol: :roll:
Andy

Post by Andy »

Glad every thing went OK Natalie, it'll be the begining of a new life hopefully. My Tx has allowed me a lot more free om than what I had b4. And yes I know what it is like to have a period whilst lying on a hospital bed, completely drugged up 2 ur eye balls and in a state of shock as i hadnt had one in over a yr!!!

Glad to hear ur step dad is recovering well.

Great news:)
Love
Andy
Julie

Welcome Home Natalie

Post by Julie »

Natalie,

I am delighted to hear you are home from hospital with your new kidney. :D I'm not surprised at all you're tired given that you have been through major surgery and have such a low Hb count. Plenty of spinach for you young lady. :wink:

You take good care of yourself and that tiredness is there for a reason too you know - it's telling you to REST!!!!! :D

Lots and lots of love and very gentle hugs.
Julie
XXX
Rik

Post by Rik »

Natalie ...
what fantastic news to hear you are home and both you and your stepdad are doing so well :D
isnt it a wonderful feeling and what a special man he is too for giving such a gift :D

I remember being pumped up like a ballon with fluids too ... I went from 79kg to 93kg ... it the one and only time ever I have been overweight!!!!

I was really pleased when I saw that finally you had had your TX and you were on the mend :D
keep up with the good news lady ... just dont push yourself too hard to start with ...

:0)XXX
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Natalie,

Nice to know you are home and doing so well. Your step-dad is obviously a very brave man for making that sacrifice.

I hope you continue to improve and continue to make your way what looks like being the light at the end of your tunnel.

Funnily enough, I couldn't sit at the computer either post-op. A lot of back pain, and general tiredness. I know I shortly began to get a bit frustrated because I felt fitter than ever before that I wanted to just go and do stuff, but still being quite restricted, I couldn't, so being holed up for a couple of weeks can be quite frustrating.

Good luck with the recovery.

Best wishes.
Steve
x
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hi Natalie..

All sounds good so far..:)

Take it easy.. a small pillow against the scar when lying/sitting can make it a bit more comfortable (sorta cushions it and keps it warm...)

Keep on drinking, flush all the crap from the op out and keep that kidney stimulated.:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Natalie, what wonderful, wonderful, news. I'm so glad - tho i'm sure your'e gladder, that its DONE with. Sure, you've still got to recouperate, but you can relax, and breathe easy, since its DONE. :)

As far as the tiredness & weekness & sorness & all of that, that's normal. The human body is an amazing thing tho, and day by day you'll notice improvement.

Its cool that you got to have stitches - and not staples. I guess they saw my 'road map', and said 'eh, lets put in a major highway', no need to be discreet about it, and that's why I ended up with the traditional sharks bite.

As far as the period - that's nuts isn't it? Its weird, but I haven't had mine in years, but got it once - right after my tx ;) and never again. Just like Andy said. The surgery must shock the body or something to do it.

Anyway.. I hope today is a better day for you. A more comfortable one. Sitting? I couldn't sit for like 2 weeks! I can't believe your donor is up and about. I was always told that the op is worse for the donor.. and it takes a while to recover. Tyhat's cool though.

SO SO SO SO glad you're at this point already :) You're on the plane already.. if you remember my anology.

~Rachel
msdiva

Post by msdiva »

Im so glad your doing better, I'll be so glad to get to where your at...Please keep us posted on your recovery so we will know first hand how things are. I'll be praying for your speedy recovery.

Ms. Diva
Pam

Post by Pam »

Dear Natalie,
Sooooo happy to hear that you and your stepdad are home at last! :D :D :D :D I am sure that everything will straighten out...make sure not to push yourself too much and REST, REST, REST! That will help you the most with the healing part of it all.
I HATE having a period when you are in the hospital! :evil: A couple of times I was having mine when I went into surgery. It's something the guys don't have to worry about and they should be glad...and to have that Foley and an infection too-I'll bet you were not a happy camper!
You have a new life ahead now and I am sure you will live it to the fullest- take care of yourself and that kidney! :wink: Tell your stepdad he is a hero! I'm sure you already know that!
Love and hugs,
-Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Natalie
So pleased to hear both you and your stepdad are home and recovering well. You'e bound to feel tired and a bit sore, just take things easy for the next couple of weeks.
And as for that period thing :? .... I went in for my transplant slap bang in the middle of my first period in a long time!
Hope the recovery keeps going so well, thinking of you.
love
Lorna
xxxx