Biopsies post-transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nycpetit

Biopsies post-transplant

Post by nycpetit »

sheesh, haven't even had the kidney transplant yet, and they are already discussing the one month, three month, six month, and one year biopsies post-transplant. Some of those are for their research, and I do not have to consent. I am not sure which one is considered mandatory,

My question. How many of you have had a biopsy post-transplant, and when in your recovery did you have it? How many months out from the transplant?

Just trying to get an idea of variations here in schedules.

My transplant is going to be at eight am. next Thursday August 12th! I can't believe the date is here!

Natalie
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hey Natalie I have only heard of frequent biopsies when you are part of a research study. In my unit, biopsies are only done when there is a medical need. I remember reading somewhere that they should only be performed when there is a good reason. Unfortunately I cannot remember where that article was but it may have been on Medscape Transplantation. Will see if I can find something. Meantime others may have more info.

Anne
nycpetit

That's what I've read too

Post by nycpetit »

yes, I do believe it IS for a research study. But the first nephrologist at this unit expressed it as such to me, and then today's nephrologist was more like it was standard protocol. I'm not interested in it right now with all that's going on, such as not even having gotten the transplant yet. It seems invasively unnecessary. Today's doctor said that if they catch something early, before the creatine has risen, it can only be done with a biopsy. But other than perhaps one of those biopsies, I believe all the rest of them were only if you chose to be in the study. I'd prefer not to, as each of them requires an overnight stay, and four biopsies in a year seems a real drag. Plus, afterwards there's always that cut-back on bending and lifting all over again.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hate to say this but check check check.. before accepting biopsies..

I had 3 'routine' biopsies post transplant .. Never had any sign of rejection just their dumb protocol.. On the third I got a clot on the kidney and now have a creatinine of 400. rather than say.. 150. The chance of something like this is slim, but if I was going round again with what I know now.. NO WAY i'd sign that consent form unless I actually felt unwell.

ONLY.. my personal experience tho. ANd its worth remember that a biopsy IS the only sure fire medical way to check if rejection is happening at a cellular level
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
jimh

Post by jimh »

I would be wary of routine biopsies. A biopsy (so I was told) can cause rejection / blood loss and all sorts of nasty things. I had my transplant two years ago and have had only one biopsy when my creatanine crept up. I would certainly not let any biopsy me for research.
Jim
johnsor

Post by johnsor »

I believe I had 3 biopsies on first transplant and 2 on my second. None were routine procedures. The very first biopsy confirmed acute rejection. The second and third were an attempt to identify cause of chronic rejection. The final two biopsies were done on transplant #2 to determine if there was acute rejetion and results were negative.

There definitely is mild risk associated with the invasive procedure.
Art from Ontario

Biopsies are not standard proceedure

Post by Art from Ontario »

There is no such thing as a biopsy on a good functioning kidney as a matter of protocol. It's an invasive proceedure.
Only done if the blood numbers start going out of bounds.
Doctors are not above telling you a lie to get med students a teaching
experience or for some other self motivated reason.
Tell your doctor you will have one if he has one.... then you'll
find out the real motives & risks.
nycpetit

Thanks everyone

Post by nycpetit »

I appreciate the responses to the biopsy post. I also do not feel comfortable with the protocol/research idea. Funny how they "tell" me about it during the transplant evaluation process, but the paperwork that I'd be signing would be given to me in the hospital. I'd imagine that I'd be pretty well out of it then, huh?

So, it's only three more days, well, two now. It's on Thursday morning. I'm excited, nervous, and finding it hard to concentrate all at once. It's odd to be running about doing your life, working out, going to your job, cleaning, etc, and then pop into the hospital to be put to sleep to get a transplant. They call it an "elective" surgery. I call it fortunate, but still odd.

Thanks again
Natalie