Right nephrectomy August 10th

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

ianlong

Right nephrectomy August 10th

Post by ianlong »

Hi,

My son (aged 15 months) is about to have a right nephrectomy, this is going to be normal surgery not laparscopic.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what this is going to be like, what the recovery time is (we have heard many different opinions from 3 weeks to 3months).

Thanking you in anticipation! :D

Ian (uk)
Elaine

Hiya Ian & family ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hello just read u post ;)

I have been talkin to parnts of a young boy who had both kidneys removed by open procedure not laprascopic. He was in about 10 days and 'appeared to do very well' post -op recovery. :wink: Had few tubes in etc drip, drains and a tube to his stomach naso- gastric tube to drain excess fluid from stomach etc.He had a pain pump and appeared 'fairly well comfortable pain relief etc' :?

My daugter suppose to prob be having kidneys removed laprascopic?/ maybe soon.

Good luck 2 u ask Drs everything u wish to know etc. I aslo contacted NKF for info etc and many websites on net too for info ;)

best wishes Elaine ;) UK :wink: :roll:
Elaine

Ian & family

Post by Elaine »

Post op recovery prob few months to heal properly and be' bak to normal etc' roughly 3 mnths. But usually up n about fairly quickly post -op just avoiding lifting etc for bout 6 wks or so? etc. Kids soo resiliant at times often recovery much quicker than adults? :lol:

best wishes Elaine :lol: :wink:
ianlong

Post by ianlong »

Thank you Elaine.

I have only just found this site and have already found it very useful.

Both my partner and I find it very difficult to trust doctors, as it is because of a missed diagnosis that this is all happening. So it is nice to have apoint of reference from people who have been there.

Once again thank you.

Ian
Elaine

Ian & family ;)

Post by Elaine »

Glad to be of help 2 u all ;)

Yeh many ups n downs sadly within medical profession but can understand why people want to make sure they ask all relevant questions to make an informed choice about ops n medical proceedures etc ;) :roll:

Good luck and let us know how u get on ;)
We have to make decisions 2moro about if/ or not to hav kidneys removed to enable my daughter to go bak on transplant list as she has been suspended since April due to low albumin and other medical issues etc.

best wishes Elaine :D
ianlong

Post by ianlong »

I hope all goes well for you and especially your daughter :!: . It is so difficult when it is your children who are ill, especially when young children.

I wish you all the strength to make your decision. Not an easy one by any means.

I will gladly keep you updated with Louis' progress and hope you will do the same.

With a bit of luck in the next few weeks we shall know what the future holds for his remaining kidney.

Once again thank :) you and good luck.

Best wishes

Ian (& family) :D