New transplant date: August 12th

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nycpetit

New transplant date: August 12th

Post by nycpetit »

just two weeks from today!!!

I go for my final cross-matching and meeting with the anesthesiologist on Tuesday of next week. After that, it's all done. Did all the last tests in the last few weeks. This is a new unit, for those of you who remember that I had to change units. Originally today was going to be my transplant date.

I am going to Rogosin Institute. It's a steroid-free unit. They use thymoglobin (in hospital) then Prograf and CellCept. When possible, the prograf is later changed to Rappamune.

So, this is it. I'm super excited. It's going to my first surgery of any kind. I picked a real doozy to start with huh? :lol:

Natalie
Andy

Post by Andy »

Thats great news!!! good luck with it and let us know how you get on :) :D
love
Andy
Hal

Post by Hal »

Great news and good luck Natalie ;)

Hal x
Elaine

Good luck Natalie ;)

Post by Elaine »

Gr8 news 4 u Natalie :D :lol: :wink:

Lifes such a roleercoaster eh? :shock: lets hope u on the upward slope

best wishes Elaine UK :P :lol: :roll:
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Really pleased for you Natalie, hope everything works out well this time. Keep us posted on how things are progressing.
Best wishes,
Lorna
xxx
Mike

Post by Mike »

good luck with the transplant, hope everything goes ok. when I have my transplant it would be the first operation of any kind I would have had as well.....I've never even had so much as a leg/arm in plaster or anything......scary!

mike
Rik

Post by Rik »

Brilliant news once again Natalie ... :)
hope all goes swimmingly well ... keep in touch to let us know how its going wont you :D
msdiva

Post by msdiva »

Have a big 32oz size bottle of water for me will ya after your recovery. I'm glad you have a date. My best wishes for your recovery.
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hi,

Great news Natalie. You and your donor are in my prayers for successful surgeries and recovery. Can you tell us a little about your donor? He/she is a very special person.

Anne
nycpetit

Oh my

Post by nycpetit »

How could I be so silly!! Anne completely reminded me of the most important person in all of this, my stepdad!!!

He stepped forward to be tested way back when, and neither my Mom nor myself really thought he'd be a match. Turns out he is!! He is only 8 years older than me (I'm 34 and he's just turned 43) and as we now joke, the reason my mom married a younger man is evident now!!! :lol: (actually, that is what HE says).

He was also fortunate in that there were some of the more evasive tests that he was able to avoid, being in good health. The complete selflessness of his act is really a boost for me since I do have some fears for surgery. I've never had anything "wrong" with me before, so knowing my donor is going into this relatively "unfazed" is a confidence booster for me.

Additionally, I feel confidence in this transplant unit, whereas I really didn't with the last place.

My birthday is August 20th, so the kidney on August 12th is truly a great present, the best one I could ever ask for!!!
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Natalie you are not silly. This is a board where we come for answers, support, and to voice our concerns. Here we have permission to think about OURSELVES. I love your Stepdad's sense of humor and he sounds like a wonderful person. You are very blessed he came into your life.

I too, was very concerned about the surgery as I only had minor surgery to place a PD catheter in the past. I actually discovered that the surgery compared well with that. The surgeon did a curved 'L' shaped inscision from mid pubic bone, around and up to my pelvic bone. The only part that really was uncomfortable was the inch or so close to the pelvic bone. Seemingly when they cut this way instead of up across the stomach, it is less painful. They will give you enough pain meds to make sure you are comfortable. Do not be afraid to ask for some when you need them. I had a reaction to the morphine they used for the first couple of days - lowered my oxygen level. They had to be very sparing with what they gave me. I did OK and, believe me, I am a WIMP!

When they wanted me to get up, I insisted I do it myself on my own time. I raised the head of the bed to make it easier then was able to deal with my legs - wimp again!

Your Stepdad sounds a lot like my donor. She was so confident and excited. When they came for her on the morning of surgery, she insisted on sitting up on the gurney. She looked like Ben Hur on a chariot! Of to conquer the world!

Natalie you and your donor will do just fine. Remember you have all the good wishes and prayers of your friends on this board as you take this step to a new life.

Anne
Carolyn in CA

Post by Carolyn in CA »

You're in our thoughts! Hope everything goes wonderfully for you! Let us know as soon as you can!

Carolyn and Richard
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Superb news:D
:D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast