Kidney transplant evaluation

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

GSinCA

Kidney transplant evaluation

Post by GSinCA »

I go for my transplant evaluation on 7-30-04. I understand that the docotors will be doing medical tests and psychological evaluations, but thats about all I've been told. Can anyone out there thats had one tell me what to expect. Thanks in advance for your help. GSinCA
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I have been going through the test for transplant for the last few months and I will probably be on the list after my next appointment on 5th aug.

I'm in the UK so it may be slightly different for you but what I've had so far is:-

various ultrasounds of my heart, arteries, legs. They were no problem just lying on my back or side and took about no more than 30 minutes each.

I had a fitness test which involved running on a treadmill while they monitored my heartbeat and did an ECG thingy, that was the worst thing I've had to do :D

Various blood tests.

I didn't have a psychological evaluation so dont know anything about what that involves.

nothing I've had so far was too stressful.

some websites:-
http://www.kidneydirections.com/us/pati ... s/transplt
http://www.kidneywise.com/treatment/kft ... /index.asp
http://www.kidney.org.uk/Medical-Info/transplant.html

good luck to you and I hope everything goes ok

mike
R30

Kidney Transplant Tests

Post by R30 »

Hi Mike
Thanks for your information - I found it very useful. I am due to undergo a live transplant in September (thanks mum!); however, I haven't been informed of any tests that I will undergo, and as yet, haven't been assigned a consultant at my transplant unit. Do you know if this is normal as it sounds like you have had to have a barrage of tests, and I am beginning to wonder if I've been overlooked?
Any help or information anyone can give me would be useful.
Many thanks.
Ruth
Elaine

Info bout transplant preparation

Post by Elaine »

Hiya some useful sites for info bouut transplants

National Kidney Federation Web site (although only usually intended for Uk residents)

Talktransplant.com good web site with links to other sites too.

Good luck with u transplant preaparation best wishes Elaine UK :roll: :lol:
Hal

Re: Kidney Transplant Tests

Post by Hal »

R30 wrote:Hi Mike
Thanks for your information - I found it very useful. I am due to undergo a live transplant in September (thanks mum!); however, I haven't been informed of any tests that I will undergo, and as yet, haven't been assigned a consultant at my transplant unit. Do you know if this is normal as it sounds like you have had to have a barrage of tests, and I am beginning to wonder if I've been overlooked?
Any help or information anyone can give me would be useful.
Many thanks.
Ruth
Hi Ruth,

I think you should chase up about not being assigned a consultant. There should be a live transplant co-ordinator who presumably you have already had contact with ?

The amount of tests you need will depend on the protocols at the unit and yourself. Personally I didn't have any tests (other than tissue typing blood tests etc) as I had recently had a chest x-ray and ecg and it was decided I was fit and young enough to not need to do any physical stress tests,

Regards,

Hal
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

I never did the stress test (treadmill) and I don't believe we get the psych write up as those across the pond do although I know they DO for LR organs here..
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
nycpetit

Depends on the unit

Post by nycpetit »

I had to have some tests and not others. And I changed units just as I was done with all testing at one unit, prior to changing to another. When I went to the next unit, they required tests the other had not asked for, such as a:

recent pap (which I had to have redone since I couldn't locate the results from six months before),
a repeat EKG (although I'd just had one done six months before), another chest X-ray (again a repeat),
and an abdominal sonogram, which I had not had to have in the previous unit.

Before that, in the previous unit, I met with a social worker (sort of like the pysch workup), and a transplant nurse.

In the new unit I did the repeat tests listed above, plus the abdominal sonogram, and met with their social worker, their nephrologist, and my nurse. I also met with a dietician, who was super nice. That was really to just satisfy a check mark in their workup sheet as I am not on dialysis yet, so it was just one of their protocals.

I did not need the barium enema (colonoscopy), or the stress test, as I am still very active, or the mammogram, since I am only 34.

I think, R30 that you should ask who your nurse is. The last unit I was with was very lax, and they didn't stay on top of tests. They should be doing these tests by now if you are going to be on schedule. It takes time for some results to come back, and your mom may need some tests that take some time depending on her age and what she's had done recently.

The older recipients and donors usually need the stress test (although my 43 year old donor did not), a PSA (for the men), an ultrasound, MRI (for the donor), renal arteriogram, mammogram (ladies), and colonoscopy/GI scan if over 50 or have a history of these problems.

Everyone does cross-matching. It takes time to get all the appointments. At least here. Because when you have a living donor you are not considered priority, and so they can be slow to make appts.

good luck
Natalie
Carolyn in CA

Post by Carolyn in CA »

Where in California are you being tested. Richard is on the list at UCSF and UC Davis and their testing is entirely different. Some centers do all of the testing up front before they will put you on the list. Others wait until you are about 1 year out from transplant.

I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can.

Carolyn
GSinCA

Post by GSinCA »

Hi Carolyn,

I am located in So Cal and going through evaluation and hopefully a transplant at Habor UCLA hospital. So far they have done an chest xrays, EKGS, TB screening and blood work. I still need to have a colonoscopy, psych evaluation and something called a persantineMiBI, which they tell me will be done soon. They also told me I will probably have to wait between 3-5 years for the xplant. How long has Richard been on the list? At first I was very reculant to have a xplant, but now it can't happen soon enough. I wish Richard a quick xplant and speedy recovery. GSin CA