ultrasound of arteries

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Mike

ultrasound of arteries

Post by Mike »

Hi,

just a quick question as my renal unit haven't toild me why!!!!

I have received today an appointment for a ultrasound of my leg arteries, would this be to do with the fistula ??

It's just that nothing has been mentioned by my renal unit (as usual!!) and also I was under the impression that they would do the fistula on my arm.

cheers
Rik

Post by Rik »

I would give your unit a call Mike ...
its better to get the answer directly from those involved ... there may be a good reason why ... or its a simple mistake ...
let us know what they say ...
:0)
Mike

Post by Mike »

I've just spoken to the senior nurse at the dialysis unit and she is going to find out for me.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Questions

Post by JMan »

Could be to do with fistula.. though they ARE usually in your arm.. have you had previous accesses in your arms ever??

Only other leg scan I might think of is a renal angiogram, tho that ISN'T an ultrasound as such..

Let us know what the answer is if they do get back to you..
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Jman

I am waiting for the nurse to call me back but she said that it would be for the fistula. My understanding is that it would normally be placed on my left arm as I have been preserving the veins in that arm so it would seem pointless to do that if they are going to put the access point in my leg?

It could just be a mistake (certainly wouldn't be the first time!!) but I would prefer it in my arm as I feel that would be more convenient but it seems to be that the decisions are being made without me being consulated!! but of course I'm just a patient so I obviously don't know what's best for me.

I'm still waiting for an answer to whether they will let me do PD anyway and I may just be jumping to the wrong conclusions but it looks from this that they've made the decision already! When she rings back I am going to ask to see the dialysis nurse to try and see what is going on.

Mike
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I have heard back from the unit and they are not sure who requested it but it is to do with the transplant not for an access site which is a relief :) also the dialysis nurse has just moved departments so the new one is going to contact me so I can find out what is happening with dialysis.
Mike

Post by Mike »

yay!

just got back and it all went ok (apart from that my trousers are now sticking to my legs) my arteries are all absolutely fine, i thought they would be but I always worry that they will might find something wrong.
Cheryl in CT

hi, Mike!

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, Mike -

Glad to hear that all went well. Now at least you know that there isn't cause for worry there!

Back before my transplant, every time I turned around (or even if I didn't!) some doctor or another was always ordering yet another test of SOMETHING. At first, I'd worry and wonder why... After a while, tho, I decided to look at it another way. I figured that all they were doing was confirming the condition of every inch of my body, so as each test came back "fine", I could just tick off one thing from my list of things to have to worry about. That headache? Nope, definitely not a brain tumor - I just had my head scanned & all was fine. That day my shoulder was aching? Nope, not arthritis - they've already checked for that, and I don't have it. The tightness in my chest for minute there? Not likely to be a heart attack - my heart & arteries were just tested, and all was well. Anyway, you get the picture. (Sure, things can come on suddenly, but I know that at least I felt a heck of a lot better having just been tested for almost everything!)

The same went for my husband Mark, my donor. He went thru all sorts of testing, too, and while I don't think HE saw it quite the way I did, I felt very reassured to know that he was doing okay himself. (You know how hard it is to get healthy people to go to the doctor? Like many others, he hadn't gone for a full physical in a bit too long, and I was beyond thrilled to find that he really WAS healthy!)

In any case, Mike, now you can just tell people that you've been tested, and you have GREAT LEGS! (A bit sticky for the moment, maybe, but great, nonetheless.)

take care!
Cheryl
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Cheryl

you absolutely right! I do kind of feel that way after the test has come back all ok so I got a bit concerned over nothing really. all the time she was doing the ultrasound on my left leg she was going yep all fine looks good and stuff. you can hear the heartbeat / pulses or something and they all sounded the same in that leg. But whenshe did it on my right leg the first time I heard that it sounded wierd and she stopped talking and didn't say anything for the rest of the test!! I got worried that something was wrong but she then smiled and said yep that ones ok too.

I dont really know if I have got any other tests yet, I've had an ECG, an ECG stress test, lost count of the number of blood tests years ago and ultrasounds on my leg arteries and abdominal area. can think if there is much more.

hope you are well and thank you so much for your support.

mike
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Mike,

Great news on the artery scan.

Hope you get your dialysis sorted soon,

Hal