Another Transplant cancelled

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Kelly

Another Transplant cancelled

Post by Kelly »

Just to let you all know that today we got the sad news that they are not going to do the transplant with pete and his brother.

Paul went to have his scan done of his kidneys to decide which one to remove, and they have found that one of his kidneys is very small!!

His BP is also fluctuating, and they found traces of cholestoral in his urine.

We are obviously gutted, but could never put Pauls life at risk.

Looks like the light at the end of the tunnel has gone, and we need to get it lit up again.

Love Kelly XX
ImageImage

Life is like a box of chocolates, you can never get enough
nycpetit

I'm so sorry

Post by nycpetit »

this seems to be the month for kidney transplant cancellations...myself, your husband, and Carolyn's....since things happen in threes....luck must be sure to turn around now....

I have one question...since you mentioned they found traces of cholesterol in his urine and fluctuating bp...why did they carry forward and do an MRI? I guess the order of testing is different here, but if you don't have a good urine test, then they don't go forward with any other testing....

I am so sorry. I do hope that some other options come soon.

Natalie
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Kelly,

This is indeed sad news for all concerned, and I guess you are all distraught at the news.

Unfortunately, there are no gurantees with either route of transplantation, cadaveric, or live donation, but at least with live donation, the doctors Pete and his brother are with, in my opinion, could have done more earlier to find this problem, than to "lead you on", so to speak, and build all of your hopes up.

I hope you all are able to find the strength to come through this, in[articular Pete, as this operation potenitally would have given him a good part of life back.

Don't give up, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

Bets Wishes,
Steve
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
Rik

Post by Rik »

can only follow in others foot steps .. I am soooo sorry to read your message ... it must be devastating for everyone involved ... just remember that we are all here to offer you all as much support as we can possibley give Kelly
:0(XXX
rosa t

Post by rosa t »

:arrow: :arrow: :(
Kelly, i'm so sorry to hear about tx. let's hope there's better news soon.

luv

rosa t
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Kelly

Sorry to hear that it must be really hard after such a long time of waiting. I sincerely hope something else comes up.

Mike
Julie

Your news

Post by Julie »

Kelly and Pete,

I just want to let you both know that I am thinking of you. This must have been such a terrible blow for you both - all that built up hope. You know I am always here for you Kelly, any time you need to talk, let of steam, shout and scream, cry, whatever.

Your time will come. I know it.

All my love,
Julie
XXX
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Ouch..:(

Post by JMan »

Likewise to everone else Kelly & Pete.. this is a like a boot to the head and we've all been following progress so far..

Don't give up and keep us posted..

HUGS
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi Kelly and Pete
There’s not much more I can add to what others have said
I really feel for you both
My thoughts are with you
All my love
Sue
xxx :( :roll:
Elaine

Soo sorry hear u news Kelly & Pete :(

Post by Elaine »

Kelly just read u post - sooo sorry to hear transplant not goin ahead as hoped :shock:

Life is sucha rollercoaster :shock: :?

Thinking of u Kelly, Pete & u family :roll: and hoping that there will be light at the end of your tunnel very soon............... :roll:

best wishes and(((((( (hugz)))))))) Elaine & Rach :wink: :shock:
Hal

Post by Hal »

Dear Kelly & Pete,

Thinking of you both and Pete's brother of course (I'm sure he is gutted also he can't help).

Sorry to hear your news and I hope things turn around for you soon.

With Love, Hal x
kel.

Post by kel. »

Hi Kelly,

Im really sorry to hear your news. :cry: I suppose you feel like its back to square one.

I know its probably hard at the moment but try and keep your spirits up.

Thinking of you both,

Kel x
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

Hi Kelly & Pete

What else can I say that's not already been said?

Just to let you know I'm really sorry to hear the news and that I'm thinking of you both, and Pete's brother, he must be feeling pretty gutted too.

Try not to let things get you too down (it's easy for others to say that, isn't it?), hopefully everything will turn out right in the end.

Lots of love,
Lorna
mac

Post by mac »

Hi Kelly,

I'm terribly sorry for your news. My brother has recently had two transplants cancelled - the second just 3 days before the scheduled surgery.

Please keep talking about the need for a kidney... to everyone. It's been our experience that, in order for an offer to come, people must be given the opportunity to consider it. In our case, talking extensively brought this about, without making an actual request. Please tell your story, to friends, colleagues, to anyone within hearing distance. Word gets around and in our case, two potential non-related donors have stepped forward. It's humbling, and it does wonders in the hope departnment... sorely needed especially after the second cancellation.

Wishing you all the best.

P.S. Humour works best for me when I talk about it, it doesn't have to be doom and gloom. Mouth off!.. and remember, never tell your little sister to shut up again - ever! :)
Carolyn in CA

Another Transplant Cancelled

Post by Carolyn in CA »

Our thoughts are with you! We had two donor volunteers "fall out" of the program before Richard's son postponed/cancelled. One showed up with high blood sugar and one with high blood pressure. I guess that's why they say kidney donors that actually get through the process are some of the healthiest people around. They've bben tewsted for everything and nothing was found!

Hang in there - it WILL happen! We all have to believe that!

Richard and Carolyn in CA