Clinic

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Andy

Clinic

Post by Andy »

I've been to Tx clinic this morning and there was no other way to dscribing it other than a cattle market. It was manic there. There were no seats left, so alot of people were standing. How do u decide who deserves a seat and who should stand up??? :? obvisously you cannot judge a book by its cover!! (I ended up perched on the table where you place your specimen pots). :evil:
There were 3 phelbotomists, but only 2 seats available, and not only were they doing blood for Tx clinic but also for any other out patient who needed their bloods done. :x
There are 2 weighing scales and 2 BP machines, but yet they only use one??? I really cannot see the logic!! :x
I was sat with mum's friend, who I like very much and can relate to, She had a Tx a number of years ago and just gets on with her life, and her bf who is paralysed from the waist down who also just gets on with life. Whilst we sat there and chatted I really cannot believe the number of people that were moaning. Nothing Joyful going on in that waiting room I can tell you. Every one was so miserable and feeling sorry 4 themselves!!
This is one of the reason's why I hate going to clinic, it just does my head in the way some people moan over nothing. :x
Thanks for letting me rant.
Keep Smiling :D :) :D :):D
Andy
SteveUK

Clinic

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Andy :)

I can relate, and to some point, it's somewhat worse what I put up with.

First of all, I am assuming that your clinic is run on a first come first serve basis, which in my opinion is effective. I experienced transplant clinic at Guys Hospital.

6 months after though, I was discharged back to Kent & Canterbury. There is such a contrast. Guys was very well run, and although it was first come first serve, you can't really complain, if you turn up and you know where you are in the "queue", at least you know you're going to get seen. They had 2 phlebotomists doing the bloods, and it was only renal patients who had their bloods done there, so waiting for a blood test wasn't long. Seeing the doctor would be about 30 minutes wait on average. I used to arrive there around 9am, so I helped my cause a little I think there. We were also given the freedom of weighing ourselves, doing our own urine samples etc. So, in my opinion this worked. I know you will get some who don't like it, but, you can't please everyone can you?

Canterbury in contrast is a bit of a nightmare. It is based around an appointment system, and as with all appointment systems, you never get seen on time. I have endured waiting around an hour to get seen after my appointment time and on 1 or 2 occasions, patients, whom I suspected have been treated there a long time, and subsequently asked to be seen next (and suceed), which leaves people like me a bit pee'd off. Also, there have been cases of people, pushing in after turning up late for their appointments, which is not really on in my opinion (unless of course there is a justifiable reason). BP, urine samples, etc, have to be assisted by a nurse, and theres a queue for that, can be a bit of a pain as well. They must think we're useless or something. They only have one Pathology unit, which does bloods for the whole hospital, which can be a long wait. I have waited an hour for a blood test before, quite a long time to wait, especially after you've been and seen the doctor already. Not many people standing about, but there is only ever usually one doctor doing transplant clinic, so it's why there is a bit of a wait sometimes. There are days when everything goes ok, get seen, have bloods and just go home, but it's been a while since it's been like that. I personally will be having to use public transport from next week onwards to get to and from hospital, lack of family support should just about cover it there without going into one.

Hope this makes you feel better, cause there are certainly alot more worse off places than where you are attending! :)
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
Elaine

Andy & Ste regarding clinic

Post by Elaine »

Hiya saw u posts yeh know woty u mean about clinic organised cahos at times. I hav read a pilot scheme where clinic bleep u or txt u wen u appointment ready - be good weh instead of time wasting hanging around for wot seems like hours on end!! :cry: :? :shock:

Suppose many times seems soo unorganised cos of patients arriving on transport etc or mis communication, short staffed poor resources etc.

Yeh sometimes doesnt fill u with alot o confidence in some staff :? Although other staff try be as helpful as possible in very difficuilt circumstances. eg - understaffed overworked exhausted staff within NHS!! :shock: Poor communication.

Nice 2 hear u comments. Maybe 1 day just might run like clockwork LOL - eh?? in our dreams maybe?? :roll: :shock:

speak 2 u soon best wishes Elaine ;) :shock: :shock:
mags

clinic

Post by mags »

I go to Addenbrookes and although there is an appointment system, it is on a first come first served basis. So, I leave home at 6.15, arrive there a couple of hours later, have a cuppa then make my way up to clinic. Am usually the second to arrive, and the doctors usually begin to start arriving about 9.15.

Of course, the disadvantage is that if I want to see the top man, well he doesn't get there until ward rounds have finished, usually eleven or so. By which time the place is heaving... run out of seats, no windows ergo no fresh air or something different to look at. You get the odd moaners and groaners, but you find them everywhere; the sort of people who sniff a couple of times and are convinced they have flu, or a little twinge in the back is raging debilitating backache.

We usually have two or three phlebotomists, who are very efficient ladies, and very gentle. Urine samples, collections, weight and BP are all done as soon as your notes are taken from the reception desk to the nurses station. It usually works, until you have a new nurse perhaps, not quite sure of the routine.

But there are a lot of positive happy people there, all so relieved and happy with their working transplants. The doctors are mostly friendly, efficient and helpful, no matter how busy they are, there is one particular one who will spend as long as necessary talking to patients. Sadly, as we all know, they do their internship and then leave; or get a better offer or job somewhere they would prefer to live, and off they go.

But I would like to know why all the hospitals I have to attend, and have had to in the past, have been up a flipping hill!! You feel fairly fit until you get to the hospital door, and then realise you're not that fit after all.

But hey, look how lucky we are to be able to have a transplant, and treatment. Forty years ago and the situation would have been much, much worse. Live in other countries, and it's much worse. Live in other areas fo the UK even, and I'm told it's not so good. So count your blessings.
Take care and angel blessings, Mags
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Clinics ho hum..

Post by JMan »

Having had quite a bit of experience on the transplant scene its certainly come a long way since it used to be 7 hours + travelling time..

However almost all uk hospitals have a long way to go.

I'm under the largest renal unit in Europe (which is in London) and their clinic system, though it works is, overall abysmal.

Its a very much every patient for him/herself scenario. And those who turn up early despite having to wait usually for clinic to 'open' at 9:30 (depsite staff being there prior to that) USUALLY can get through clinic in a few hours if they are not wishing to see 'the boss'.

Bloods are done by 1 or more phlebotomists in a side room near the clinic that is infact a teaching room. This results in an 'audience' of maybe 20 or more patients who can watch you having your blood taken. It doesn't bother me but makes somewhat of a mockery of hospital privacy guidelines ;)

Needless to say i try and arrive early for clinic as this minimises time from 'in' to 'out'. The WORST thing about this particular unit is their appaling inability to communicate. Ringing up for a piece of information is a torturuous affair that usually results in me giving up and writing or faxing instead.

The atmosephere varies, from good natured complaining (its almost a sport) and certainly an outlet for some, to glum silence..

Personally I try and go for the humouristic approach myself as I think I'd go nuts otherwise:)
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

I am sorry, truly truly sorry to inject a note of boasting complacency into this thread. I cannot compete with those vying for a place in the list of worst hospitals because the truth of the matter is that, for me, Charing Cross gives no cause for complaint. And it is not for the matter of not trying for, since it is my nature to be complaining, contankerous, and I am never happier than when finding something to grouse about. But recently in CharX I find no cause for complaint. A wait for my consultant at clinic is seldom more than half-an-hour [last Thursday it was 2 minutes: yes, two whole minutes. I hardly had time to open my book]. There are usually three plemwhatdoyoucall thems [I can seldom spell that word and never pronouce it: why don';t they call them by some patient-friendly name?] on duty, plenty of seats for waiting and waiting is again within reasonable limits. I phone the hospital an hour before dialysis time to check that a bed will be ready so I don't have to wait and they give me a time so that I can walk from the street and onto a bed without changing stride [or strides]. And best of all, Mags ['cos with emphysema I just cannot manage walking except on the flat] the half-mile terrain from my flat is as flat as a billiard ball is round. I can't remmember when I last had reason to complain - it's making me feel quite miserable.
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Ah bless oldborris

Your posts make me smile when ever I see a post from oldborris I have to read that one first

Is there ever going to be a book!!!

Take care
Sue
Lumbyla

Post by Lumbyla »

I always get an appointment at 3.30 just as the clinic is closing. There's usually no one left and a see my doctor and then get my bloods done on the way out in the phlebotomy dept as the clinic phlebotomist has usually gone home. No hassle....!