HD set back..just when I thought everything was ok.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

George

HD set back..just when I thought everything was ok.

Post by George »

Was told on Thursday that my blood results have started to deteriate and I now have to have a 4 & 1/2 hour session and this may need increasing to 5. :cry: Or even another full session, has this happened to anyone else? I have been unwell lately with a chest infection that just won't go away, also they said that my chest was filling up with fluid almost as quick as they were taking it off. I think there is a problem with my fistula not developing as well as expected and they have to put the needles closer together than they would like, there is only just a needle length between the needles enrty sites. I'm a bit down over it, but I will pick myself up and carry on. Still managing to work, but i'm starting to have a few bad days where I don't have the energy to go to work, but I do.
SteveUK

Post by SteveUK »

Hi Geroge,

Know exactly where you're coming from.

I had a few extra session when my blood results deteriorated at one point, also due to excess amounts of fluids.

I hope this is temporary George. My fistula didn't develop that well. I made the point of asking the nurses, never to use the same needle sites as they did, because this makes the vein smaller, thus making it useless in the future.

Good luck mate.

Steve
~I close my eyes, and This Is Yesterday~
My Band myspace!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

4 and a half to 5 hours isn't that unusual.. Dialysis prescriptions will vary. For the fluid, the best you can do is stick to or ask them about your restriction if your on one.. For blood figures, diet likewise. These won't necessarily solve the problem immediatly, but it means you can know you're doing what you can from your end of things..

Dialyser size (the 'kidney's on the machines come in varying sizes), body mass, and as you say, the fistula make some difference as to how well a person dialyses as well..

Hang in there mate, and hope things get better soon:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Elaine

Hang on in there George ;)

Post by Elaine »

Hiya George nsaw u post :( Been wonderin how u been doin??
Sorry to hear u havin a tough time at mo :( lets hope its something thats gonna get 'sorted' asap :shock: Rach doin 2-21/2 hrs combined UF & Haemo at mo, but she too has been havin tough time mainley due to nasty chesty virus and raw irritated exit site :cry:

Hope to hear things are improving for u soon George but we are thinking of you... it does exhaust u tryin to juggle between work and haemo etc. :roll:

best wishes to u & u family Elaine & Rach :roll: :wink: :lol:
Julie

Post by Julie »

Can't offer much in the way of advice George, but just wanted to know I'm thinking of you and hoping and praying that you'll soon get sorted out and start to feel better than you do.

Hang in there.

Lots of love,
Julie
x
George

Post by George »

Thanks to everyone for your support, it does really help. :)
I am not officially on any fluid restrictions, but common sense tells me to watch what I have. Most days i'm only having about 1.5 -2.5 ltrs taken off including .4 for the backwash. Think the problem has been the fluid I put on pre dialysis. My weight has been dropping quite well, (from 129kg at the start of my dialysis on the 5th May, to 116kg yesterday.) some of it is down to the fact that i'm now more active as I have more energy than before and the gout attacks seem to be much improved (only had it for a few days in the first few weeks) since starting dialysis, aiding mobility.
I am sure there will be lots of high and low points during my journey along life, but its comforting to know I have such good friends like yourselves out there.
Thanks and love to all. xx

Elaine, I hope Rach is soon over her chest virus, pass on my best wishers to her.
Sueleic

Post by Sueleic »

Hi George
Sorry to hear you’re having a ruff time
I was only thinking about you the other day
Will email later today
Take care
Sue
Xx
:roll: :roll:
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi George,

Sorry to hear you are having a few problems. Hope they all resolve for you.

Regards,

Hal
kel.

Post by kel. »

Hello George,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have also been threatened with a time increase on hd. I only do 3.5 hours at the mo. Dr threatens to put upto 4. I know its not as long as what yours might be going up to, but I know how you feel. I have been told that Im not clearing as well as I should be even after trying bigger needles and a higher pump speed. They are now trying a bigger kidney. Could they not try something like that for you before putting your time up?

Hope everything works out for you!! :lol:

Kel x
George

Post by George »

Hi Kel, I think i'm on the right sized kidney and on the largest needles (orange) my pump speed is usually at 350, I don't know if this can be increased. I usually have about 92-95 litres processed in a 4.5 hour session. Today I feel really crap, but I am on my 3rd day since last dialyzing (weekend) At the moment I feel very nausia and hardly slept last night due to fluid on my chest. I have been up since 5am and took my wife to work at 6.30 and i'm about to go to work myself at 8.30. Lucky I only have to do till midday then I go to dialyse.
Well thats my daily moan over with, I hope your soon feeling better. Think the problem with the extra time is you get used to 3.5 or 4 hours and the extra seems to last just as long.
BFN XX
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi George ... sorry to hear you arent getting on so well right now mate ...
I was on for 5 hours at a time ... my way of thinking was if I'm on ... another hour or so wont matter much and its the same needles already in ... so less jabs too!!!!!! .. (sorry the needlephobe peeking out there!!!!) I would normally have 7kg taken off ... although once or twice I had 8kg taken off because I was too far over my dry weight ...
I was doing mine at night but would only have treatment twice a week ... boy do I remember that nausea after 3 days!!!!!!! ...
hope by the time you read this you are feeling lots better ... :0)