airline travel with PD cycler

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

airline travel with PD cycler

Post by amanda in CA »

Having spoken to british airways previously about carrying on my PD cycler I just wanted to confirm it against my booking so that I don't have any issues when I go to check in. I was told by BA both in the USA and UK that I would have to check it in to the hold, the woman in the US was downright rude and the woman in the UK tried to put it down to health and safety issues. However she couldn't explain why you can take a 20 lb weight on board if you are flying business or first class since I patiently explained to her that the overhead lockers in these sections are no different - hum, she couldn't answer that one. Eventually I asked to be put through to customer relations who put me through to Medical Assistance - strangely they said that there wouldn't be a problem taking it on board! Hopefully? it is now going to be ok. I did even consider swapping my dialysis order and doing CAPD but I am a pretty persistant person and don't like to hear 'no' as an answer. Interestingly, my husband actually got BA to change their policy about when passengers are able to use a business or first class lounge, only by being persistent and not being fobbed off. Has anyone else flown with BA and taken their dialysis cycler on board with them? Amanda
mac

Maybe plain luck

Post by mac »

But my brother uses a cycler, has flown with it on numerous occasions, and has never experienced any dfficulties at all. Must be the family charm. 8)
Hal

Post by Hal »

Thanks for that info Amanda. I am flying to New York with BA in September. I only just booked the flight so haven't called them yet, but I will make sure I get to speak to Medical Assistance.

I am flying Spain with Easyjet also. They told me the machine will have to in the hold but I can take it with me to the gate and they will put it in at the last minute. I was also advised to get a letter from my doctor explaining that the machine is vital medical equipment. I am going to get the letter to say that I am fit to fly to avoid any problems with this too.

Hal.
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

While I have never flown with a cycler I have read the experiences of many on another board. They were able to fly all over and take their cycler as carry-on. Perhaps you can pose the same question on that board and find out how they did it.

www.he.net/~brumley/renal/

Go to the Peritoneal Forum
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Just remembered! It is recommended to take a letter from your doctor stating what the cycler is and its' necessity. Also be prepared to plug it in an outlet when going through security so they can be assured it is working medical equipment.
johnsor

Post by johnsor »

It has been some time (pre 9/11) since I was on cycler, but did take it on domestic flights in the U.S. back in '96. There was no way I would put that in the hold of a plane knowing it could potentially be misplaced or lost. The plus side is I always used it as an excuse to board the plane early and it worked every time. I did have an issue once where the hotel I stayed at misplaced the bags and told them they would have to take me to the hospital in Boston for dialysis if they couldn't find them. They suddenly became available and all was well. Best wishes for your trip.