Open Pyeloplasty and pigtail stenting

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

patient1

Open Pyeloplasty and pigtail stenting

Post by patient1 »

Hi there.

After reading through a lot of the current and past postings I feel a bit insignificant compared to what most of you have had to endure.

I am in for an open pyeloplasty op in two weeks due to a ureteropelvic junction obstruction and although I am a bit nervous about the whole thing am feling good about going in and getting the problem sorted. However I am extremetly nervous about the whole pigtail stent thing and its removal. I will be grateful if anyone has any experience of thisto contact me through this bulletin board. I am thinking that I will need general anesthetic to go through its removal - am I being a big baby here!?

Many thanks in advance for your replies.
John
:roll:
Cheryl in CT

ureteric stent

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, John -

Well, lots of us out here have been thru the stent ordeal, some with more problems than others.... While I don't think ANYONE would tell you it's a joy to have one, usually it's really not so bad - especially when you know it's a short term thing! For many renal pateints, it's a rather routine thing, so I don't want to scare you & tell you it's unbearable, because it really isn't. There are lots of far worse things to deal with, but you should be aware upfront of what is "normal" and what isn't.

You may have some discomfort from the stent, or you may be one of those who can't even tell it's there. Some people experience blood in the urine while the stent is in place, but then again, many do not. You may have burning during urination or feel the need to go often, but again, not all people have this problem. If you should develop a fever, severe pain &/or cramping, tho, it is essential that you contact your doctor, as the stent may have dislodged, become infected, or otherwise be not quite "right".

Everyone feels great trepidation (the first time, anyway) at the thought of having a stent removed. Honest & truly, it's no big deal! I won't say you won't be thrilled to have it gone, but the removal itself is not worth getting worked up about. (There was one gentleman who used to post here a lot who fretted himself into a frenzy over the prospect - he posted &/or e-mailed almost daily for 2 solid weeks, worried to death about the removal procedure. When it finally happened, he wanted to know why he had been so worried - he said he didn't even feel it!)

Full anesthesia is undoubtedly NOT going to be needed. If it will help you, perhaps you could get your doctor to prescribe a Valium or something to take ahead of time, just to calm you down. Still, what they do is use a local anesthetic (generally, a numbing cream or something like that). The doctor will use a lighted scope to "find" the stent. There's a hook on the end of the tool he/she will insert, and it will "catch" a loop on the end of the stent itself. Technically, it's really just a very quick yank, and the stent will be out. There may be a very quick, painful pinch at that moment, but believe me, it's over before you can even say "Ow!"

Afterward, there may be a little discomfort for a couple of days - possibly a bit of blood and/or pain or burning while urinating. If there's anything beyond that, it's another time to check with the doctor, as there should NOT be severe after-effects.

Believe it or not, my own doctor offered to let me KEEP my stent after it was removed - he said he thought it might look nice on a chain! I said "no thanks" and suggested he might want to take it home for his wife. The way I see it, the best part of a memory of a stent is that the memory FADES - since I, for one, don't need any reminders!

John, I know it will work out fine for you. It won't be fun, I know, but you will be able to deal with it. Just think - in a few short weeks, you can get yourself a STENT SURVIVORS t-shirt and join the legion of veterans of yet another very odd medical procedure!

wishing you all the best!

Cheryl
patient1

Thank

Post by patient1 »

Dear Cheryl,

Thanks for the detailed reply - I suppose it is just my imagination playing tricks on me, and not very nice ones at that.

I take it that the pigtails on the end of the stents are flexible and will un-wind when they are pulling it out?

Many thanks again.
john :shock: