Neph visit 11th March 2013

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

per156

Re: Neph visit 11th March 2013

Post by per156 »

sorry, I only try to share my experience from 14 years with kidney disease, all sorts of medication, pointing out what has been good for me. These are only suggestions to be discussed with the treating doctor who of course has the responsibility and the last word.

Best regards
Per
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Unifluzie wrote:Grey,

I do hope that you can manage to do pd, I found that while it takes time to start (depending on your unit) it allowed me more freedom than if I had done haemo.

Have my fingers crossed for you

I agree, start witht eh one that gives you the best possible freedom as you start dialysis.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
per156

Post by per156 »

Shinto

Only discussion proposals for Duker who is not a transplantee. But you are right, people with asthma-problems shall avoid the beta-blockers. However for Duker now every BP-medicine not reducing his kidney function is possible to examine.

Another comment:

With the appearance of generics the ARB-inhibitors Candesartan, Irbesartan, Losartan and Valsartan are now also accepted as first line treatment on the same level as the ACE-preparates.

Best regards
Per
Duker5

Post by Duker5 »

Thanks for the posts, and I don't feel too bad at the minute, and am going to the hospital tomorrow for routine blood tests. after starting Amlodipine 5mg and the Candesartan 2mg.

Anyway strangely, considering I don't feel too bad! Is that I just took my blood pressure using a bp monitor i've got at home and it measured 171/95 so I waited a few minutes and did it again and it was then 158/95 so I reckon this appointment given for September will be brought forward pretty rapidly.. Can't understand why my neph said wait 6 months till I see him again anyway..

Will see how the 24 hour home bp monitor goes (the one I'll get from the hospital when the letter arrives to tell me to pick it up) and see what the blood tests say in a week or so's time!

Perhaps my bp is high due to the can of Dr Pepper I've been drinking.. I know i'm trying to find an excuse for it being so high but I know it's down to the old kidneys being knackered :roll:
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

When do you take your BP?

I would suggest taking it first thing in the morning (just sit up in bed)

About mid morning after your BP meds kick in

Just before your evening tablets (if you take any)

And just before bed.

====
A raise in BP could be your kidney function dropping, but I think thats something for the doc's to look into. I am on the same BP meds I was before transplant. Push to get this under control, the 24hr BP will also help them decide what BP meds you take and at what time (morning/evening)
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
allymason73

Post by allymason73 »

Every 4-6 months at your kidney function is about right really. Even at a GFR of 9 which I am now I only go once every 4 weeks for an appointment, but when my function was higher I would go every four weeks to my GP for a BP check and just to make sure my home machine was still working properly so I would have the GP doing it manually on one arm and the machine on the other. Obviously if you suddenly feel very ill and think you need to see a nephrologist before your next due appointment then ring either the hospital or see your GP. That's what I did, coasting along at a GFR of 18 and had been for a couple of years and then I got the Norovirus followed by a dreadful cough and sore throat and wasn't recovering over christmas, went and saw my GP who immediately did bloods and got them back within hours and I was told to go up to the hospital ASAP. Though looking at my wedding photos slighly before then you can see something isn't right as my face is puffy and bloated and I look like the corpse bride!