Mimpara

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jan4alan

Mimpara

Post by jan4alan »

Hi there
I just wondered if anyone has experience of this drug used to reduce PTH levels. If so, what experiences have you had. I start taking this tomorrow.
Thanks, jan
amanda in CA

Re: Mimpara

Post by amanda in CA »

the pharmaceutical name for this is cincalet. I am in the US where it is marketed as Sensipar. I was on it for several years until November when I underwent a partial parathyroidectomy because even huge doses were not contolling PTH levels ( although it turns out I had a primarybaddenoma that was about 100 times the size that it should have been so its's no wonder that the sensipar easn't working. initially it contolled my PTH levels very well ,but over time it stopped working, although I was probably am atypical case because of the adenoma that was completely un-related to kidney failure.

when I was presvribed it, my nephrologist described it as a chemical parathyroidectomy. it essentially 'tricks' the glands into 'thinking' that there is less circulating phosphate than there is.
jan4alan

Post by jan4alan »

Thanks Amanda that sounds exactly what I want it to do. I really don't want to have surgery if at all possible. Lets hope the side effects don't affect me too much.
Kind regards
Jan
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I know that there ate some sideeffects, such as nausea, but I never experienced any problems.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I was on cinacalcet for a few years (quite a high dose) and it worked a treat, no side effects and post tx things went back o oral so no more pils and things are still fine 5+ years later. Good luck!
!
jan4alan

Post by jan4alan »

Thanks Mandy!
per156

Post by per156 »

If you struggle with side effects from Mimpara (cinacalcet) you can ask your neph for a trial with a new drug, Parsabiv (etelcalcetide). This one is injected in the needle directly after the dialysis session and may suit you better.

Best regrds
Per