tips for anyone doing manuals

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Luanna

tips for anyone doing manuals

Post by Luanna »

my bags of solution used to get to hot then I figured out a way so I don't have to use the control box. If it is going to be 6 to 8 hours before the next exchange only cover the bag half and the solution will be just about right. If your next exchange is 3 to 5 hours then wrap it up good and I usually set the next bag on top of this one (in the heating pad). By that time it should be ok.

the scale that you weigh your bags with is hard to read so I taped a white piece of paper on the side and marked 500, 1000, 1500 etc. This makes it easier to read.

when you are disconnecting from the bags I always wipe the connection with Alcavis/gauze before I break the connection. But what I do is leave the gauze wrapped around while I reach for the cap. This will keep the connection cleaner from airborne contamints.

finally, I have probably the worlds fastest drain and fill time. I timed from the moment I opened the vavle and stopped when the fill bag was empty. 12 minutes and 47 seconds (without squeezing the bag). The secret, stand while draining and sit on the floor while filling (keep the lines as straight as possible). I use this method when I am in a hurry.

Hope this help and I'd like to hear of anyone else's hints/shortcuts/modifications etc