suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Elaine

ozjen

Post by Elaine »

Awwww poor u sounds like u had such a tough time :(

welcome to the board n lets hope all goes well for you for the future ... ;)

best wishes Elaine & Rach :D UK xx
ozjen

Post by ozjen »

I used to think so, but after reading about other situations, i'm glad it's just me. I know the strength required to cope with my own failure, i can't imagine the strength required to cope with the failure in a child.

I honestly count myself luck. I had 25 good years and i plan to have another 60 odd (God and medicine willing).
Elaine

renal failure

Post by Elaine »

Yeh ozJen- been tough time as a mum to watch my daughter on dialysis age of 14 for 2 & 1/2 years such rollercoaster of life and emotional turmoil etc. She was diagnosed age 21/2 yrs and we have had this prospect of renal failure hanging over us since then.

However eventually she has just had her kidney translant nrly 6mnths in few days. We are sooooooo greatful to the donor & their family 'truly gift of life'.

My daughters renal failure affected us as parents and her younger twins sisters who have grown up to see their big sister soo ill etc. Now they can see their sister living life as a teen 'should' and taking each day as it comes new challeneges, rewards and achievements-never thought teh day would come but it did.

Want to wish you luck and hope that your day will come soon too, relief from renal failure.

Elaine & Rach :D
TorfiT

Re: suggestion... how about re introducing ourselves??

Post by TorfiT »

Just joined a few days ago so I belive it is propper to introduce myself.
My name is Torfi Tomasson and I live just outside Reykjavik, Iceland. I lost one kidney to cancer in 1987 and the other in 2001. I am 70 years old and very healthy so I guess that I will be on dialysis for many years to come.
When I had just started on dialysis a fellow (who is usually in the chair beside me) whent on a holliday to the Canary Islands, this was great theraphy for me as I had visioned this as some kind of a prison. I have now visited Copenhagen once and London 4 times and I am thinking about both cities and some sunny spot as well for this year but have not decied anything yet.
All the best
Torfi Tomasson
Julie

Post by Julie »

Welcome to the board Torfi. :D

Julie
XXX
ozjen

Post by ozjen »

Congrats on the 6month aniversary Elaine, I wish you and your daughter the best.
Angie

Torfi and Ozjen

Post by Angie »

Welcome to you both

I hope that both find the help and support you require here, I certainly have and an honestly say I found much more as well.

they really are a wonderful bunch here at KPG.org.uk they are SO resourceful and helpful.

Grasp every moment you get the chance to enjoy
ImageImage
Life is for living-Grab every moment with both hands
Bonnie

Post by Bonnie »

hi my name is bonnie
i am 38 and have 2 children anthony age 18 and kimberley age 16.
i have been married to martin for nearly a year now. he is my brick through all whats going on. i am a diabetic of 20 years and now have chronic renal failure my kidney function is at 15% and am in the process of sorting out my treatment !!!! oh what fun . we live in south west england in exeter, we are 10 mins away from the beach and ten mins away from the moors . i love it down here as we are all keen surfers and newquay is just down the road. we have a boxer dog called butch who is only 4 month's old and he is soooo cute. and gives me a reason to smile every day :lol: . and has a fear of the water but we will crack that in the summer when he learns to surf.
keep happy
bonnie
amanda in CA

Hi, Bonnie

Post by amanda in CA »

Hi, Bonnie, although living in the US at the present I am from Lyme Regis, so not too far from you. welcome to the board. Hope that it provides you with the same support that I get from it. Amanda
septicmicky

just saying hello

Post by septicmicky »

hello everyone my name is mick i live in brownhills staffordshire and l have got polycystic kidneys and am about to start diyalasis but am really scared i am 35 and have been haveing problems since i was small any help would be good thank you
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

Hi Micky

welcome to the board! I just started dialysis about 5 months ago and was really really scared but it turned out ok in the end-- like anything you do eventually get used to it.

There's loads of really supportive people here-- this board has been a lifesaver as you realise there's loads of people in the same situation.

Feel free to ask any questions at all, everyone will be pleased to help.

jenjen
HeX

Post by HeX »

Hi all, my name is Carl and i'm 26 years old. I went into ESRF December last year and have been on Hospital Haemo since. I was born with both kidneys but one failed to grow, this was all found out in 2001 - then in December my remaining working kidney failed and I was rushed into the Renal Unit at Sheffield Kidney Institute.
The nurses were great there and made sure I was fully aware of everything that was going on at such an over-whelming time.
I'm managing to keep well within the bounds of my diet except for the lager and I must add - dialysis whilst hungover is not pretty!!
I have the cathater put in place next week for CAPD as opposed to the original operation to have a fistula.
Having PD will hopefully give me back some freedom to start back at work full-time instead of balancing work around visits to the hospital.
Fred Caldwell

Post by Fred Caldwell »

Good Morning Gentlefolk! Its a beautiful Sunday morning here in Spilsby(where's that then?) near Skeggie, you fool!!.
I would like to join in the welcome to our new members tho' I haven't been here long meself!!
To young TorfiT I would say you've got to go some to catch up with me, how does 82 grab you.
I reckon you stand a fair chance of a shiny new kidney and why not.
My wife and I spent a lovely holiday in Iceland 2 years ago, the weather was iffy but we didn't go for just the weather. The sea food restaurants
were scrumptious and the scenery was wild and the view from the top of the cathedral in Reykjavik(have I got that right? well! check it you idiot!ok,ok!) was fantastic.
Bye now. F.
TorfiT

Post by TorfiT »

Good evening Fred and all you good people. Talking about age I know that next birthday I will have 71 years behind me but I am actually only fifty somthing. Is this not all in the mind. 82 is just for statistics you just decide yourselfe your age.

All the best
Torfi Tomasson
Jmig

Post by Jmig »

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with UPJ in 5/04 and went through a nephrectomy for my left kidney in 9/04....no problems until recently, after I had my son. No response to HBP meds, right kidney starting to deteriorate now, so all I can do know is hope and pray.... I stopped posting to this board, but now I may need the support of people who are going through and have experienced this....

Jen