suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hey Lauren

Welcome here:)

I guess you read about me already so I won't say too much more..

Except to ask what does PROD stand for? (sounds like something one does with a pointy stick?? ;) )
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

mumbling into his 80yr old beard [yes! I was born with it] OldBorris welcomes a youngstger to the Board but distressed that she needs to be on dialysis at the start of life instead of, like him, at the end of it.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Welcome Lauren,

I'm 18 and from cardiff.

This board is a great help:)

Take Care

Love
Andrea
x x x
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Just to inform you, PROD is Peritoneal Rapid Over-night Dialysis. The machine which loves to bleep at every problem, which didn't wake me up much but gave my sister nightmares of Darlics. . .
Philip

Post by Philip »

Hello everyone. I'm Philip and I live in Birmingham, UK. Kidney history: diagnosed with IGA nephropathy about 10 years ago, CAPD for 7years-and-a few-months until August 2004; bad peritonitis and complications, which put me onto Haemodialysis until Feb this year, then transplant at the beginning of Feb 2005, (just when I was getting the haemo down to a routine) which is going so far so good.

Other stuff: 62 (effort to remember to add 1 every year), married, 2 grown-up kids, working (university lecturer, and so fortunately flexible about the time I have to spend on the premises - also my office was 10 minutes (now 20 minutes, because I walk slower) from the renal unit. Lurker on this board from time to time, made a couple of contributions to the old one. Have been well looked after by doctors & nurses in all the stages of my renal career... (including my GP :D).

Asked once by a friend "You must be saying, 'why me?'" - answer "No". It's one of those things, happens to some, doesn't happen to many more. Might have been worse; like someone said recently in a post, you're never "cured" with a transplant, it's just another kind of treatment. So I keep one eye out for the future, but plan to get out more now, though my wife draws the line at an Antarctic cruise...

Philip
Birmingham, UK
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Phillip ...
really nice that you have found and joined the Board :D

I note that you have IgaN ... have you seen the IGAN group in Yahoo?? ... its run by some amazing folks who are past members of the Board ... look up
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/iga-nephr ... =211246330 ...
its run by Peirre and Cy ... both fantastic folk ...

unless your a member of course ... and I'm preaching to the converted ;)

welcome a'Board so so speak ;)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Philip and welcome to the board.

I guess that there's not much I can tell you about PD after being on it for 7 years !! I've only been on dialysis for 6 months but was diagnosed 12 years ago and I've had experience of renal failure most of my life (I'm 33) as my brothers was born with severly reduced function, 3 failed transplants and dialysis for over 12 years !!

Hope your transplant continues to work for many years to come

Mike :D
Carlos

Us & Them....

Post by Carlos »

Hello everyone....

I am new to this board, made one post so far... like the cross-atlantic-ness of it...

My name is Carl. I am a transplantee. I am 26 now and June of this year sees my 16th year of living with somebody else's kidney inside me.

I am a student in Preston (and I've been a student in other english cities too...) studying Philsophy. I love the subject but am terrible with essays and deadlines etc...

I am a follower of Bob Dylanism, a very rewarding and relatively unfashionable religion. I play guitar and am going to Paris tomorrow for the first time... woo hoo...

Nice to read of you all. There are a few characters around. Boris, I like your writing, very rich.

Carl.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Welcome Carl..

I also went to University in Preston (well I studied under the University of central lancs anyway) I dialysed at the RPH as well.

Nice place to study.. great student town, has everything.

Glad to hear your transplant is doing good

Welcome to the board.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Elaine

hiya carl

Post by Elaine »

Hiya nice to meet u, saw u post about being at UNI in Preston. I was born n lived in Preston til 18 GR8 place for students etc :D :P Iworked at RPH as student nurse many moons ago!!!!!!

I am a main carer to my daughter Rachael who is 17 on haemo at mo been on dialysis over 2yrs @Bristol and is on transplant list. Hope speak 2 u sometime.

best wishes Elaine Wiltshire :D
Vikki

Hello

Post by Vikki »

Hi,
I'm Vikki, I'm 22, I had a heart/lungs transplant as a child and now I've got renal failure - never rains but it pours eh? I live in Stoke-on-Trent in the Midlands of England with my Grandmother. I've been on APD since January. I was living with my fiance until recently and we had a wedding booked for July but he left me so my life has been turned upside down. Before I fell ill with this kidney thing I was doing my teacher training which I am hoping to go back to now that my health has improved with the dialysis. I have got a black cat who I love to peices and at the mometn I am doing a part-time job in an office.
I love this website as you have all been so great to me recently and really helped me keep a grip as I have been feeling distinctly miserable lately, sometimes I just wonder 'why am I bothering.'
Take care ya'll
Love Vikki
Even with your eyes closed, may you see the light at the end of the tunnel

Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

[b][color=olive][/color]Hi my name is Cynthia most call me Cyn from the chat room. I live in Burton Michigan USA. I found out 7 years ago that I have FSGS. I'm down to 35% kidney function . I feel blessed I'm luckier than most cause right now I'm in a holding pattern as they say. I know it won't last forever. I found out when I was pregnant with my beautiful son christian . He was born two months early because of my kidneys . I was told I had no choice I would die if I didn;t have him because my B/P was so high and they could not get it down. That is when the kidney disease reared its ugly head In may I was also diagnosised with diabetes as if I needed that too . I relized how short life is and how most of take it for granite. I also have a beautiful daughter named kylie, and all I know is that I will raise them I will survive to make sure they will be happy healthy adults and this thing is not going to get me. It will never defeat me and my goals in life.[/b]
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

I will survive to make sure they will be happy healthy adults and this thing is not going to get me. It will never defeat me and my goals in life
I found this tremendously inspiring Cynthia... as they used to say over your side of the atlantic 'you go, girl'!

Good luck.

Carl.
oldborris

Post by oldborris »

Paris tomorrow for the first time... woo hoo... Carl.

Oh to be in Paris for the first time in one's life. "Woo Hoo", indeed!

They say [well, they would, wouldn't they?] that one never recaptures the excitement of one's first visit to a foreign country or city.

But I must say [well, to tell the truth, I don't must say but I will] that every time I go to Paris I go "whoo hoo". Parisian children poke their mothers and cry, a la Francais of course, in a piercing voice: "Mama, why is that old gentleman in a beard going 'whoo hoo'"? I have been interviewed by the plice on several occassions but seemingly whoo-hooing is not an indictable offence in France.

Paris is my favourite European city. If I believed in God I'd swear it was designed by him. But Venice runs a dead heat with it in my affection. Rome comes next. New York is the most exciting city and Zimbabwe is my favourite country but I was there before Mugabe went mental.
Muzlaing

Post by Muzlaing »

Hi everyone,

Good to know there are other people out who are supportive.

I'm Moray, 43 years old and diagnosed with ESRF (Creatinine recently in the 900s). I had my Fistula put in yesterday - sightly sore but not unbearable. Dialysis due to start in about 6 - 8 weeks time.

My attitude is let's get on with it and try not to let things get in the way of life. Hopefully I can maintain that attitude although I'm realistic enough to know that my life will never be the same again. Fortunately I've got a great Consultant (Mike Bending) and would recommend him to anyone in my situation.

Hope to hear from some of you in due course. Keep well!