Statins

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

marier

Statins

Post by marier »

I developed Rhabdomyolysis due to the PCT switching my statin to Simvastatin. This caused the muscles to die, renal failure and if left untreated the dreaded death! Since then (about three years ago) I have not taken any statins to lower my cholesterol. Before initial treatment my cholesterol level was 12.6 and I really dont want it to go that high again. The last time I had it checked was about 9 months ago when it had reached 8. something.

The doc seems reluctant to put me back on statins in case I have become sensitised to them I'm not sure thats the correct terminology, but basically means I might develop rhabdomyolsis again.

I was wondering whether anyone else had the same problem, or whether anyone had recommenced taking statins after a reaction to them.
Dont let a little thing like kidney disease hold you back
Tranplant November 24th 2012. Thank you so much, donor family.