Transplant life for living unrelated donors

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Kipper

Re: Transplant life for living unrelated donors

Post by Kipper »

Thanks Keith, as the receipient of a living unrelated tx I was pleased to read the outcome was statistically favourable compared to a cadavaric tx. Not sure if live related fare better still as the article is a bit techy for me but rates are improving all the time.

I assume the graft survival rate of 72% does not take into account people who's tx's have failed due to underlying non related health issues. Technically if a transplantee were to die in a car crash or naturally of old age their tx would still be considered to have failed. If I'm correct and this figure incorporates these individuals I wonder what the rate would be for healthy, living transplantees whose transplants have simply failed without any non related factors being present.
I guess you could expand that and give percentage figures for different age and ethnic groups also.

Still even 62% at 5 years for cadavaric treansplants is good, the only way is up as my mate Yazz says.