low potassium drinks

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

mariobryant

Re: low potassium drinks

Post by mariobryant »

Low potassium fluids and food:
-apple, grape and cranberry juice.
-clear soda like Sprite.
-tea
AVOID OJ, V8, grapefruit, prune juice, coffee and milk. Apples, any berries, watermelon, canned peaches or pears, white grapefruit OK. AVOID banana, oranges, fresh peaches, fresh pears, dried fruit including raisins. Green beans, peas, corn, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, summer squash ok.
AVOID potato, tomato, asparagus, winter squash, pumpkin and sweet potato, beans.
You can still add to the diet of these drugs. My doctor wrote out a prescription for the pill.
Duker5

Post by Duker5 »

mariobryant wrote:Low potassium fluids and food:
-apple, grape and cranberry juice.
-clear soda like Sprite.
-tea
AVOID OJ, V8, grapefruit, prune juice, coffee and milk. Apples, any berries, watermelon, canned peaches or pears, white grapefruit OK. AVOID banana, oranges, fresh peaches, fresh pears, dried fruit including raisins. Green beans, peas, corn, carrots, lettuce, cucumbers, summer squash ok.
AVOID potato, tomato, asparagus, winter squash, pumpkin and sweet potato, beans.
You can still add to the diet of these drugs. My doctor wrote out a prescription for the pill.
About a month ago I had an insane potassium reading of 8.4 and was told I'm lucky to be alive, anyway I spoke to the dietitian and she said I can still eat peas, carrots, beans etc but instead of having the full contents of a 400 gram tin have half and save the other half in the fridge, same with potatoes, I can have them but to soak them first in water for a couple of hours the dietitian said as it helps get rid of excess potassium.

Also she said I could drink coffee but only 1 cup a day replacing a cup of tea for the coffee so 1 less tea per day but bananas are a definite NO as I've not known any dietitian say yes to us being able to eat bananas.

Oh and you can also drink milk so don't know why your being told to avoid it... your limited of course to half a pint per day, at least that's what I've been told anyway.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Tined vegetable's and fruit are OK providing you throw the liquid away they are canned in.

Phosphate, and Potassium are both water soluble, that is why it works.

Vegetables can be soaked in water, overnight, and or boiled rather than steamed, this includes potatoes.

I think mariobryant's post is just advertising.
Duker5

Post by Duker5 »

wagolynn wrote:Tined vegetable's and fruit are OK providing you throw the liquid away they are canned in.
I have tinned carrots and peas and I've never thrown the liquid away, I just pour the contents of the tin in a pan and warm them up on the hob using the liquid out of the tin, so are you saying I should empty out the liquid in the tin and replace it with water?
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Providing the dietician has not told you otherwise, yes, as Phosphate and potassium are water soluble, a proportion will have migrated into the canning liquid.

After boiling the cooking water should be thrown away.

The Phosphate and Potassium levels can be reduced in vegetables and fruit by soaking in water overnight, and/or boiling, throwing the water away after cooking. If you do both soaking and boiling the levels get very low.

Milk, butter, cheese, are limited or excluded if the patient has high Calcium in the blood. This happens partially because we loose control of Phosphate, and Phosphate is involved in the control of Calcium.

Excess calcium will cause build up in joints, clogging of blood vessels, and blood vessel walls can be made very stiff (normally they are flexible), deposits in muscles, which of course is very bad if it is the heart muscle.