Laser eye surgery post tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Razza

Laser eye surgery post tx

Post by Razza »

I'm due to have laser eye surgery next Friday. I am 6 years post tx and wondered if anyone else has had this done following a transplant. I'm sure it's not such a problem with the actually transplant but more to do with the medication you take. I'm on tacrolimus, losartan, asprin, azathiropine, amlodopine.

I also due to see my consultant next week before the procedure but thought I would check in with you guys first.

Thanks.
Thumps

Re: Laser eye surgery post tx

Post by Thumps »

PLEASE CHECK THIS DECISION OUT VERY CAREFULLY! :!:

I was considering doing the same after my tx, but the eye surgeon I spoke to (can't remember the company, a central London place) flatly refused to do it when he found out I was on immunosuppressants. Basically, he said that because much of the result is based on the healing of the scar tissue on the eye to determine your new focal distance, that he wouldn't be happy doing it on someone whose immune system wasn't working properly and was therefore unpredictable and could either have no improvement on your sight or in fact make it worse.

I've never bothered following it up since - he seemed pretty set on this chain of thinking.

Please ask your unit and preferably an independent eye surgeon for advice before you proceed; it's not a concern for the kidney or tx or medication, but as I say, the guy I saw was concerned it could damage my eyesight rather than fix it. I figured I'd rather carry on wearing glasses than risk it.

If it turns out my guy was being over-cautious, and you do get the go-ahead from your teams though, please post back and let us know how it goes, as I'd LOVE to do it!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Chris Wright

Re: Laser eye surgery post tx

Post by Chris Wright »

I had it done in about 2001, 20 years post tx.

All fine, but of course you must tell the people doing it in case they want to give you antibiotic cover in case of infection.

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!