Baby with PUV, right kidney removed....what to expect???

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Ab

Baby with PUV, right kidney removed....what to expect???

Post by Ab »

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to all this kidney business and would love to hear from anyone who has had similar experience or can just give me any help with what to expect.

My son was born earlier this year and was a happy bundle of joy until he became very sick at 5months old with a urinary tract infection. After spending a week in intensive care they discovered he was born with PUV (posterior urethral valves). They operated on this but it didn’t clear the infection and a month later his right kidney failed and they have just removed it. His infection has now cleared however because he had such a bad infection the remaining kidney has scar tissue.

So I guess what I was wondering was what can I expect down the track? What does it really mean to have one remaining kidney with scaring? How long will his remaining kidney survive? Will it just be a matter of yearly blood & urine test? What sort of questions should I be asking his doctor?

Thanks in advance,
Ab