Dental treatment and antibiotics

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lizbee

Re: Dental treatment and antibiotics

Post by lizbee »

the differing advice might have something to do with the fact that the known antibiotics are no longer working on the human body as well and in some cases where the patients have had loads of antibiotics over the years can cause problems of their own. My renal consutlant told me this as I have had masses of them over the years with regard to urine infections recurring almost constantly she is now of the opinion that she will only give them to me if it is really neccessary..............I am not a transplanted person though so this might have something to do with her reluctance..................

Liz
I am 61 years old

diagnosed 17 years ago with Membratts disease

Now receiving dialysis

I am Scottish and live in Glasgow.
wagolynn

Re: Dental treatment and antibiotics

Post by wagolynn »

Antibiotics are not a problem, it's miss use of antibiotics that is causing the trouble.

Insufficient dose, due to miss prescribing or patients not taking a full course.

If you are prescribed some, take them all, don't stop because you feel better, if they make you ill, go back to the prescriber, and say so.