Post-Transplant Supplements

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Dwight Barnaby

Post-Transplant Supplements

Post by Dwight Barnaby »

Does anyone know where I can find a list of vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other supplements which are safe to take with the immunosuppressive drugs given post-transplant?
nycpetit

Vitamins

Post by nycpetit »

You would HAVE to get this from your doctor. Overall, I would highly suggest avoiding anything other than what is prescribed. There are many vitamins, supplements, herbs that interact terribly with our post-transplant and any other type of medications.

My doctor has admitted that many herbs, vitamins, etc. have not had enough research done to see how they interact with all drugs, or over a long term.

I wouldn't take anything found on the web as solid advice. If your doctor is able to provide solid information, then great. But otherwise, I would avoid all vitamins. The only thing I take is some calcium.

Natalie
Carolyn in CA

Post by Carolyn in CA »

Richard takes 2 multi-vitamins a day. He's been taking these since a week after the transplant. He was told to take them by his doctor.

I think the best rule is just take what the doctor says and nothing else. Richard's nephrologist here at home won't prescribe anything new without checking with the transplant team. We trust her and think that if she feels this way, we should too.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Post-Transplant Supplements

Post by JMan »

Dwight Barnaby wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a list of vitamins, minerals, herbs, and other supplements which are safe to take with the immunosuppressive drugs given post-transplant?
Check with your doctor before adding ANYTHING to your regime.

Vitamins & Minerals will directly affect the electrolytes in your blood.

Herbs are in many cases 'raw forms' of drugs, and should be treated as such. Speak to your doctor AND a medical herbalist if you intend to take any herbal products.

Its worth bearing in mind that severe ADR's (Adverse Drug Reactions) can kill and many transplant medications are particularly prone to changes in absorption rate (and thus effective dosage) if used in conjunction with other things.

ALWAYS check with your doctor if you intend to change something in your regime.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast