tomato ketchup

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

alanshaw

tomato ketchup

Post by alanshaw »

can anyone give me advice on "whole earth " tomato ketchup -ingrediants state seasalt -is this acceptable when on renal diet thanks alan
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi Alan,

The sodium content is listed at 0.4g per 100g of product, so if your only having a small amount, the sea salt shouldn't be a problem. This is less sodium than in normal heinz ketchup (0.7g sodium per 100g).

However, the bigger problem with tomato ketchup and other tomato based products on the renal diet is potassium. Since ketchup contains concentrated tomatoes, it is high in potasium in large amounts.

From a personal viewpoint, when I had to watch my potassium I used to have a small amount with a meal, around a tablespoon. However, I can't advise that this is a good idea for everyone and recommend checking with your dietician if in doubt.

Do you go to the Royal in Liverpool?

Regards,

Hal.

Nutritional Info for Whole Earth Tomato Ketchup:

Ingredients
Water, organic wheat syrup, organic tomato puree (17.6%), organic apple cider vinegar, organic brown rice flour, sea salt, pectin, organic spices, organic onion powder, organic tamari soy sauce.

Nutritional Information per 100g:

Energy 615kJ/147kcal, Protein 1.0g, Carbohydrate 30.0g (of which sugars 28.4g), Fat 0.3g (of which saturates nil), Dietary Fibre 1.6g, Sodium 0.4g.
alanshaw

Post by alanshaw »

thanks hal
my daughter has been on ward 3a past few weeks
i think she contacted you a few days ago
how did your exams go?
Hal

Post by Hal »

Ah sorry Alan, didn't make the connection!

My exams were OK thanks, just go to wait a few weeks for the results.

Hal
Rik

Post by Rik »

Stick to HP Sauce!!!!!
it might not be any better healthwise ....
but it goes a darn sight better in a doorstep sliced butter sodden Bacon Sarnie!!!!!

Health conscious?? ... me??? ... NEVER!!!!!