restless legs again!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

restless legs again!

Post by amanda in CA »

I knowt that I have enquired about other people's experience with restless leg syndrome before, but I have been getting it really bad recently. Strangely I seem to get it when I'm not itchy, and not when I am. Don't know if there is a link there between cause.

Just before christmas I had a seizure out of the blue, and today as part of the investigative process had to have an EEG. Well, I know that there is a psychological component to it, as it comes on whenever I have to sit still. As the technicial was attaching the electrodes, and I had to sit still I got it really bad to the point that I was writhing around with the discomfort and it was inducing nausea.

I have still not come up with a cure for it. I have tried non-medication approaches with no real success. I'm not to keen on taking klonipine because of the addictive qualities (it is a benzo-diazepene) and the other medication that I have tried (Mirapex) just leaves me feeling nauseated the whole of the following day. Has anyone tried any other medication with much success. At the moment I am taking a short course of Ambien but the docs. won't repeat prescribe it and I'm dreading the time when I have to try and get to sleep with legs twitching to the small hours!

thanks in advance for your replies, amanda
gary in bc

Post by gary in bc »

Amanda
I have the same thing since changing to hemo. Check out
http://www.fpnotebook.com/NEU170.htm

Gary in bc
gary in bc

Post by gary in bc »

Sorry, I got interupted and posted before I finished. The problem I have is iron deficient annemia. My feritin (?sp) get really high, so I get an iron infussion and it seems to go away. When the crawling sensations start in the back of my calfs, (looks like things moving around just under the skin), I know it is starting to happen. Withing a short time I have severe cramping during dialysis, and during the night.
A lot of the time the renal units look at the cramping a sign of too much fluid being removed, and this seems to cause me problems with blood pressure crashing.
I hope you find a solution soon. It sure hurts when it happens.
Gary
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

Hiya Amanda,

Have you ever tried Quinine? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinine

I'm not talking abt drinking lots of tonic water that has minute traces of quinine in it, i'm talking about tablets - with a considerable amount? That was shown to have some success in alleviating the symptoms.

I too have suffered from bad bouts of it. At one point, my hands/legs were so twitchy & trembly, that I thought I had parkinsons. Seriously, I decided that I must be the first 15 year old with parkinsons, and I was petrified to tell anyone, or even ask my dr. At one point when I did mention it, he started laughing like it was the funniest thing he heard all week. It wasn't funny. but yeah, i was relieved.

So anyway, i understand how you feel, its annoying, and disruptive. Try or ask about the quinine things.

Rachel
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."