Skin smells of urine

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Jill

Skin smells of urine

Post by Jill »

Hi all.

I've noticed that just recently my skin has a faint odour of urine which is more pronounced when I've exerted myself (us ladies don't sweat....we glow).
Before anyone asks, I am NOT incontinent and I shower morning and night. I'm not on any fluid restriction yet, and I still wee (copiously, especially at night).
I thought having bats breath was bad enough but I'm finding this new symptom quite distressing.
Any tips welcome.
Thanks
Jill
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Sounds to me a build of of urea (basically uric acid) in your blood. Urea is generally caused by protien being processed into a waste product as far as I know.

Kidneys/or dialysis usually remove it. Are you pre dialysis??

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

urea and uric acid are two separate chemicals that can cause problems in patients with ESRD.

Urea is the waste product (the metabolite) of protein (chemical formula: (NH2)2CO). Usually cleared by the kidneys, it builds up in the body when they are not functioning adequately. Urea is poisonous to the body when it builds up, and if it does so sufficiently, is what would ultimately kill a person in ESRD (in the absence of renal replacement therapy). It is what gives urine its smell and what makes our breath and skin smell of pee. Don't think that you can do a lot about it in pre-dialysis other than try to mask it. Dialysis should help.

Uric acid (chemical formula: C5H4N4O3 is the chemical formed when purines (substances found in certain foods) are broken down. When uric acid levels are elevated in the body, they can deposit as crystals and give rise to gout.
sanela

Post by sanela »

Hi Jill
there is really nothing much to do other than try to mask it as Amanda says and try to eat as healthy as possible with less animal protein and dairy. I had a similar problem in the year pre dialysis when my body odour changed and breath started to smell too. The worst for me was that I could taste the urine like smell at the back of my throat. It would be stronger or weaker at times depending on what I ate but unfortunately it did not go away until I started dialysis when my skin and breath went back to smelling sweet as before.

Sanela
Walter, 15 september 2009
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Amanda, thanks for the science:) Used to know all this stuff..

J
M3Riddler

Re: Skin smells of urine

Post by M3Riddler »

Jill wrote:Hi all.

I've noticed that just recently my skin has a faint odour of urine which is more pronounced when I've exerted myself (us ladies don't sweat....we glow).
Before anyone asks, I am NOT incontinent and I shower morning and night. I'm not on any fluid restriction yet, and I still wee (copiously, especially at night).
I thought having bats breath was bad enough but I'm finding this new symptom quite distressing.
Any tips welcome.
Thanks
Jill
Jill,

As JMan stated, more than likely you are overloaded with Urea or BUN. When this happens, it makes its way out of the skin and you can smell an odor. Are you on dialysis?

///M3Riddler
Administrator/Moderator: Facebook Group - Dialysis Discussion Uncensored
Dialysis Discussion Uncensored
lklevy

Post by lklevy »

Yes I used to get that pre-dialysis when my urea was above 30 mmol/l.
I also used to notice it on my clothing and bedding it made me feel 'minging' !! I also got the odd taste of ammonia in my mouth not nice..Glad to say since starting dialysis I no longer seem to get it (just hope I've not gotten used to the smell !!). Like others have said not alot you can do. I used to try avoiding high protein which helped sometimes (but not toward the end)
Jill

skin smells of urine

Post by Jill »

Thanks for all your answers.
I'm pre dialysis and my urea reading this week was 28 so I guess that accounts for it.
'Him indoors' swears that I don't smell any different, but I can smell it and I'm changing the bedding on a daily basis as it reeks on a morning.
I've hinted...nay, demanded...that the kids head to the perfume counter in Boots for Mothers Day.
Now would be a good time for anyone with spare cash to invest in shares in Persil as I'm getting through industrial amounts of the stuff each day!

Thanks again

Jill xx
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

I have thought this in the past too - but everyone I ask - even Nadine's Dad who can be brutally honest! - has said that I don't smell at all. I have an idea that when the urea levels get high we can smell it inside our noses rather than it smelling on the body - if that makes sense?
alishe

Post by alishe »

Hi,
I'm on hemo dialysis and the day that I seem ready for it, I can smell like a urine smell, rest of the family does not.

I know that I get a metal taste in my mouth before I go on,So know my urea is high.

regards
Alishe